Cold stair lift motor

I'm looking at adding a resistor or bulb inside an Acorn stair lift motor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with something on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

Check this out and post some comments what you think. I have done this when setting up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice.

Sketch

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

why not relube the motor so it works properly?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Is there 5-30 weight lube oil for electric motors ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

If it's not parked properly or if the power is cut, the flatteries will go bat. Normally, these stair lifts will operate for several days without mains power.

Also, can the charger spare 300mA on top of the battery charge current? Given the intermittent use these get, the charge current probably isn't much.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Marvel Mystery oil. Or 3in1. Keeps the hinges from squeaking to 30 below.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Any ungummed up oil would probably work on the motor, and grease for the gears. Whatever is in there now is no doubt all dried up.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It's probably high pressure lube on a screw type gear. Maybe pak it with a Moly grease.

But a C6 bulb might keep it warm enough to spin. Plus a micro switch to turn it on on the cold end.

Martin Riddle

Why suspect the motor? Is this a unit with a chain drive or a worm screw? The worm screw can be a problem as well.

--

Rick
Reply to