CMOS op amp datasheet: Lies! All lies!

They may have measured it once and then changed processes.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

The fact that the quoted value is exactly the shot noise of the typical bias current is extremely suspicious.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It must have been a perfect process :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, I tried a few other parts, and they all worked as expected--1-Hz noise flat at 9 uV out to the rolloff at 1 kHz. It's just the Diodes TLV272IS that misbehaves.

The front end has a 200M // 1 pF FB network followed by a x5 amp in the second stage, made from one section of a LM358, so the expected noise is

5*sqrt(200M/60.4) = 9.1 uV/sqrt(Hz)

I like the Microchip MCP6242 so far, $0.27 @ 1ku from Digikey.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

45nV/rtHz sounds a bit high though.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well even with a gain of 5 that's hardly going to touch Phil's 9uV/rtHz. (His 200 M resistor has a noise north of 1.3 uV/rtHz.)

George H. (I always think noise should be expressed as a power density, V^2/Hz.. that way it's easier to compare the relative contribution.)

Reply to
George Herold

Makes not much difference in this case. The 200M resistor's noise is 40 times higher than that, and the 3 dB point of the e_N*C_diode contribution is about 5 kHz, well above the gain rolloff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You have to tote around a lot of powers of ten that way. I just use a couple of rules of thumb, e.g. that e_N2 = 0.5 e_N1, it increases the total noise by 1 dB, and it's quadratic in dB below that--if e_N2 = 0.25 e_N2, it increases noise by 0.25 dB, and so on.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks for the info. Diodes Inc. seems to be in a bunch of only- peripherally-related fields- probably related to acquisitions and JVs in the PRC such as the BCD acquisition.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany