CMOS analogues switch capacitance

One other thing (that you would know well) is that the gate capacitance of the MOS devices will depend strongly on the bias (VGS) so it is important to measure the calibration channel and the measurement channel with the same DC bias and about the same signal amplitude on the switch pins.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

[snip]

Nope. I've modeled that situation very carefully. Once a channel is induced, the gate _capacitance_ is essentially a constant, only the series resistance varies which, of course, can screw you up royally if you aren't aware of it.

Now that I have it characterized I've been using gate capacitance as bypass capacitors extensively.

...Jim Thompson

Ah, Yes! The floating body syndrome ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

What floored me was the rationale behind it: "But we only need input, output and control signal".

The topper of all unconnected things (grounds in that case) was when a sample-gate mixer was squealing and gurgling. I told them that shortwave stations were getting in because there isn't a ground structure. "Yeah, right. And they want to talk to us from outer space". Moved the L.O. registers a bit and BBC World Service came out of the speaker nice and clear...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I didn't come up with it myself, but one of the more clever things I've seen is for HV and power-off tolerant inputs and outputs... the body of the P-channel ESD device is disconnected using a switch ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Right, mos devices are nice dense decoupling capacitors, but they are also used as the varactors in RF VCOs because the capacitance from gate to source and drain is much greater when the channel is formed than the capacitance when the channel is not formed. What I was suggesting is that if the drain/source terminals are very close to the positive supply voltage then the NMOS device will be on and the PMOS device will be off, whereas when the source & drain pins are near the negative rail, then the PMOS device will be on and the NMOS device will be off. Because the PMOS device has probably the same oxide thickness but at least double the width of the NMOS device, I would expect that the capacitance would be substantially more when the PMOS device is on than when only the NMOS device is on, and highest of all when both devices are on. Another thing that I have not yet considered is that many analog switch ICs selectively drive the backgate from either the supply rail or the S/D terminals (and hence have lousy charge injection). Depending on how they do this, all sorts of odd things might happen, which you would be in a better position to comment on I expect.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

OOPS!!! other way around, but you get what I mean....

[snip]
Reply to
Chris Jones

There is another issue with CMOS switches operating in low noise or high speed applications. It is not really like capacitance but produces similar effects, it is charge injection. Charge injection is relatively free of temperature effects, but varies some with input voltage and supply voltage. Have you had to design to control it?

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

[snip]

Yes ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Joseph,

I guess anybody who ever designed samplers has. It's not always fun though, especially when you find out like I did a few years ago that your favorite quad array has been priced out of the typical BOM budget range :-(

However, there is another architecture that seems to not be taught anymore at the colleges: Four fast diodes and a toroid transformer. Ideally a quad but many of those have become expensive/unobtainium so I usually try to get away with pairs. That reduces Ci effects down to almost zilch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hard to integrate though ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Yes, even hard to buy. Making the transformer is an art, almost like tuning a vintage Alfa Romeo (oh, only Giuseppe can do that...). They are tiny and the wires have to be arranged just so, then push them with a tooth pick until you see the notch on the scope right there, then pot it up. But the performance of such samplers is astounding.