cloud computing

The big one is SalesForce Tower, over 1000 ft high and over a billion dollars. It is about 10% occupied now.

The population of San Francisco is down about 7% from pre-virus. This could be a good time to hire an engineer or two.

On a sunny day (Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:12:26 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What are those funny wires for, crossing that road?

All is underground over here, apart from HV lines.

Is Joe B. gonna fix that?

Here they start housing Ukrain refugees in empty office spaces...

Got some iodine pills yesterday, just in case things go nuculear. Anyways after Chernobyl I have probably build up resistance.

Cannot you guys lock up Joe B. in one of those skyscrapers?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Three-phase power, obviously. That footbridge is a popular place to take pictures of downtown. I assume that serious people photoshop the wires out. Strangely, there are underpasses, city streets, under those wires.

I shot through a chain link fence with my phone. People with real cameras cut holes in the fence for their big lenses.

I am collecting a photo album of the most hideous overhead wiring in San Francisco; so many to choose from. I'll post a link eventually.

The land here is mostly rock, so trenching is expensive. Stuff is underground at work, and we would have paid a fortune to dig up the street and get fiber internet, so we have a MonkeyBrains dish.

Good idea. We have lots of those, with company restaurants and coffee bars.

People knew he was always stupid, always wrong, always corrupt, and now senile.

Reply to
jlarkin

You are being annoying by bringing that crap into SED. If you want a pissing contest, then there are forums devoted to such. But since you bring it up, WhyTF do you care about US politics when you're in the Netherlands (aren't you)?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You too?! SED is remarkably free of such silly, childish, pissing contests. Let's keep it that way. If you don't mind!

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:26:50 -0400) it happened Bob Engelhardt snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in <_E_0K.300232$ snipped-for-privacy@fx45.iad:

Oh, SED is mostly of topic so what. As to what I care about US, you goddamned warmongers and your fanatic brain dead leader Joe Biden make war here in Europe by provoking Russia no end. All for the weapon sales of your US criminal Military Industrial Complex About time that got nuked into oblivion.

First you did Agent Orange in Vietnam, You invaded Iraq and used depleted uranium ammo then you had, in fear for yourself, covid designed in foreign labs, backfired on you idiots did it not? And you were doing the same in Ukrainian labs. The list of war crimes by the puppets of your Military Industrial Complex is endless, all for the money If you do not like what I write then do not read it, nevertheless it may wake your brain if you have one and perhaps prevent you from supporting those criminals that played the blacks and other minorities to gain power and look what you have as fuel prices now America is a burden on the word now. Stealing as the dollar is not worth the paper it is printed on with your ever bigger debt. Sanctions.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Mar 2022 08:14:58 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I just did read he asked for the bigest military budget ever:

with that debt some countries will have to buy those bonds... Makes no sense ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Post something about electronic design.

Reply to
jlarkin

In the US wars just about anywhere always mean pork for the DOD and austerity for most everyone else.

That is to say "they" take it out on the poor - always.

Relevant to the original topic of the thread, US cities are well on their way to tracking the "development" of cities in the 3rd World like Brazil or India or China, a city core of fabulous wealth surrounded by the sprawling slums of the destitute.

Market proselytizers will nod and consider this an "efficient and equitable allocation of resources" as all economists will either be cryptocurrency hustlers or unemployed and living in the slums themselves by that point.

Reply to
bitrex

With an ever-increasing national debt, enabled by forced low interest rates, the dollar has to collapse and the feds must eventually default on the debt somehow.

The proposed tax on unrealized capital gains is just one more brick on the wall that must collapse.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Mar 2022 09:22:10 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As to electronics, I was testing a Raspberry Pi based PIC programmer I designd back in 2013..

Works, but is now a bunch of cables but can be made very small. So I started designing and needed a 5 V to 12 V converter (from Raspi GPIO 5 V to 12 V to program the PIC) and could not get the chips I wanted.. no stock... So found this on ebay:

1$73 a piece, cannot make it for that.

Ordered a few, but.. delivery: do, 14 apr - vr, 17 jun

Anyways until then it needs an external wallwart.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

We have been designing several products using eval boards, instead of buying piece parts. LCDs, microZed, a few things like that.

Often we can get the eval boards overnight, when the parts on those boards have 40 week lead times, and cost more than the eval board.

Reply to
jlarkin

Well Bob at this point I assume *every* thread in SED is off topic, unless I see an electronic part or circuit in the subject.

I wonder, is there a newsgroup reader program smart enough to be programmed to filter out threads with non-compliant subjects...?

Reply to
Rich S

On 3/30/2022 11:58 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote: ... it may wake your brain if you have one...

Ad hominid is a sure sign of someone without a good argument.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

THAT's your defense?!

I'd rather have a quiet SED than blathering about someone's favorite political scapegoat.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

That is the topic here, that presumably you want everyone to stick too.

Do you design electronics?

OK, now you are starting a flame war.

John Larkin is telling us what he was programmed to think by Trump's election propaganda.

What John would have posted - if he were a bit less gullible - would have been

"People who are susceptible to Donald Trump's implausible pre-election propagada now think that he was always stupid, always wrong, always corrupt, and now senile."

You can see why Trump's election team wanted people to think that (even if John Larkin can't), but the majority of the population weren't susceptible to the fatuous nonsense and voted for Joe Biden anyway.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

<snip>

John Larkin's grasp of economics isn't impressive. He starts off with the proposition that John Maynard Keynes was wrong, and swallows the nonsense propagated by economists who felt it to be more important to have a mathematically tractable model of the economy than a model that some kind of capacity to predict what it was actually going to do.

The Republican Party does like unrealistic predictions - it lets them forecast doom and gloom before every election, and justifies them screwing the less well-off if they do get elected.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

With all the chip shortages I decided to build the next computer out of discretes. Got a fair number of relays on the shelves, and figured a good voltage pulse could speed em up. I'm finding they break down around 1kV, but my maths reckons I need more zeroes to get them doing a gigahertz. Any suggestions for getting them to survive a couple of megavolts?

:)

Reply to
Tabby

That's hilarious, in a way you probably didn't intend.

Reply to
jlarkin