cheap passive IR webcam?

Anyone know of a cheap passive infrared webcam? Even an OEM module or something. Not the kind that need LEDs but the kind that see temp.

I'd like to play around with monitoring my reptiles at night, see what they're doing, and what sort of body temp they're getting to....

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

CptDondo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

to see "temp"(-thermal- IR viewer,3-12 uM),the sensor array has to be cryocooled or have a microbolometer array,and costs about $1000 and up.

Firefighters have a handheld thermal viewer.

No such thing as "cheap" or inexpensive.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Scroll down for 'Footprints'.

Unfortunately you can't buy them yet.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Check

However, I thought reptile have cold blood...

-- Michel

Reply to
michel.stempin

Cool, thanks.

Well, they do. But the cages are asymmetrically heated and they travel from the warm side to the cold side and back to regulate their body temp.

That's what I am looking for; seems like they do all the fun stuff when I'm not around.

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

Normal webcams go somewhat into infrared if you remove the filter. Maybe not low enough for a reptiles body temperature, but you can allways light them with some IR LEDs (B.t.w. do they see short wave IR?)

Or something with a Nipkow disk and the sensor from a PIR motion sensor??

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

Well, I already toasted one camera trying to do that. A quickam 5000 has the filter built in somehow; it sure doesn't come out. :-(

I don't know. And no-one seems to be able to answer that either.... One snake I have only comes out in the dark, so I don't want to light her up.....

Google.... :-)

Reply to
CptDondo