Cellphone in bomb: What does the assembly say about the maker?

If they prove to have a tendency to suddenly disassemble themelves, they could ban them from air shipment, just like Li batteries. PITA, of course.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

PETN packs a powerful punch and has very low vapour pressure that is hard to detect passively. That is why terrorists like it.

Toner cartridges are typically hermetically sealed in plastic heat shrink wrap as well as with tape for shipping. I have had the odd one arrive that has leaked and they make a heck of a mess.

Airfreight was always going to be the next weak spot that the terrorists would target - it is surprising they took so long.

We were lucky that they didn't get away with it - someone was on the ball and is to be congratulated. We have to hope that our press do not inadvertently give away any clues as to how this plot was foiled.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

The first article a few days ago, about this "bomb package" stated the Dubai police got a phone call about suspect packages.

In other words, the Dubai authorities had no clue until some one ratted al'Qaida out.

The US has been trying to get many non-US ports to take this threat seriously for years now, maybe NOW they will start doing their jobs.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Well, maybe they didn't get away with it. There was a UPS cargo 747 that crashed in September after departing from Dubai...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

or a set up to make some one look good?

Seems funny how the timing is (Election), and how our leaders jump all over that..

I am not saying this is what happen how ever, bottom feeders will go to great lengths to gain popularity points. No one got hurt and the description of the electronics leads me to believe that most likely it never would've gone off.. Just seems to sloppy of a job to me..

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:51:45 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Yes, did not even have a PIC in it :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, YOU ARE the resident expert on sloppy jobs...

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, that would've at least made me start to think more seriously about it. Might've actually impressed me! :)

Reply to
Jamie

To put it into perspective UK has had three other real IRA bomb incidents this weekend. One which detonated and injured some kids and a

40kg one in a beer keg defused. And a pipe bomb at an airport carpark which arguably is more of a nuisance but still ties up resources.

You certainly sound like bottom feeder low life.

Word in the UK is that the device tested clean on the first attempt and it was only after they were told PETN was involved that they found it.

Never underestimate your enemy. As Sephro points out a UPS 747 Cargo leaving Dubai was downed last month apparently.

Please people do not suggest any ways to improve on terrorist bombers technology no matter what the temptation to look smart here!

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

It should have set red flags from the start--who ships a low end laser printer to the USA? The shipping cost alone was more than the printer was even remotely worth.

Reply to
PeterD

As I suggested:

Toner cartridges larger than 500g (17.6oz) will also be banned from hand baggage on flights departing from the UK and also on cargo flights unless they originate from a regular shipper with security arrangements approved by the Department for Transport, she said.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Morons, both.

Reply to
hifi-tek

I presume you mean Miso and Jamie?

You are obviously a gentleman and a very observant scholar ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     I can see Election Results and Dismembered Democrats :-)

"Rich." blamed the bomb scare on the Presidential administration R > Obama's people of course. This is a clear case of "Wag the Dog". The Dems R > are down in the polls and election day is fast approaching. They needed to R > do something to try and make themselves look good.

MT > They could shit solid gold bars and they would still look bad.

My favorite of all political comments this election season!

Reply to
Greegor

Does anybody here actually recognize those circuit boards.

They are not saying much about how it was supposed to be triggered..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

LOL. You want an installation guide? Ask the FBI or CIA.....

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

because maybe it was just junk boards attached to make it look good?

The timing is marvelous..

Reply to
Jamie

AVAILABLE}

story:

All the worlds *real* problems are eventually solved by violence!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

It is more surprising that Fed-Ex flies out of Yemen! Not the most friendly business environment to operate in - one would think.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

It's okay now. We have drones in the air looking for people with explosive cell phones in their luggage. And we notified the terrorists that we have drones in the air, so no one will chance putting explosive cell phones in their luggage.

Reply to
Wanderer