Capacitor Impedance is less than ESR?

If the two graphs are not swapped, I'm having a hard time with this

Last page, graph in the upper right compared to the graph immediately below that.

My question is: How can the capacitor's impedance be lower than the capacitor's ESR?

Thanks.

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

"John KD5YI"

** It ain't and the graphs do not say it is.

You have failed to realise the scales on the LHS are **ratios** - not actual values.

What the graphs show is that:

  1. ESR is fairly constant above 2 kHz and depends mostly on temperature - ranging over 100:1 from -55C to +105C.

  1. Impedance falls with rising frequency, but is limited by the series ESR value at any temperature.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John KD5YI" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:RJgnk.505$mP.222@trnddc03...

Hello John,

You may have overlooked the meaning of the plot.

Upper plot: Ratio relative to ESR @120Hz, 25° Lower plot: Ratio relative to impedance @120Hz, 25°

Impedance Z = 1/(jwC) + ESR

The ESR is only the resistive part(value) of the impedance.

At 120Hz, the value of 1/(w*C) is much larger than the ESR. That's why the ratio in this impedance plot has suich low values at higher frequencies.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

You are absolutely right. Indeed I failed to read "ratio" and took it for absolute.

Thank you, Phil.

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

You are correct, too, Helmut. I failed to read "ratio" on the graph.

Thanks.

John

Reply to
John KD5YI