can 0603s be within 1.5mm of each other?

Hi - I'm working on a new layout and have run into an odd little problem. I placed 4 0603 ceramics in a sort of vertical column like this:

- -

- -

- -

- - (where '-'s are pads)

I have the centers of each capacitor 1.5mm from the centers of the capacitors above and below. Eagle DRC does not like this - saying that the capacitors are in each other's keep out layers. Turns out these keepout layers are about 3x2mm in Eagle. My question is this: should I abide by these keepout layers? My layout will be a whole lot prettier if I can keep these parts where they are. If it matters - this is for a 'one-off' prototype board and will be hand soldered, probabaly with hot air equipment. Thanks in advance,

M. Noone

Reply to
M. Noone

To answer questions like this with official answers,

and click "IPC-7351 LP Viewer" to get the free viewer app.

But if you only intend to hand-assemble, anything you can visualize will "work".

Reply to
zwsdotcom

"M. Noone" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

That should be OK. It's good design practice to build your own 0603 pad.

Look at

register, and search in the document center. There is a 0603 pad definition which can be modified to your space constraints.

I use a 0,9 x 0,8mm pad with a 0,8mm space between the pads. With 1,5mm device distance, there is a clearance of 0,6mm, which is space enough for a wire in between. My limit for placing 0603 devices is 0,3mm.

MIKE

--
www.oho-elektronik.de
OHO-Elektronik

Two different answers. If you can solder it, then in terms of placement for assembly, this is fine. It will cause problems if the board ever goes to automated manufacture though. Seperately, there is the question of what signals the capacitors are carrying. Remember there will be coupling between units placed like this.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett