Building a Faraday's cage ?

Well, if I was born that way, I can't help it, can I? So I may as well relax and go with it. And (just to be pedantic) I'm bipolar, not autistic.

Gotta hand it to you there!

It sure sounds like you need a break, to get away from things and relax a little.

Really, all that anger will kill you a lot faster than having fun will kill me. And if you intend to be angry for the rest of your life, you're sort of dead already.

John

"John Larkin Congenital Fuckwit "

** So John Larkin is an admitted Manic / Depressive as well as congenitally autistic.

Head shrinkers never reveal the full extent of a patient condition - even to them.

Professional ethics - "do no harm".

To their patient that is.

FUCK the rest of society.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

As one with an autistic grandson I resent Phil's rants... BIG TIME!

I guess I'm a bit slow, I should have realized before that there's a really simple solution to disposing of Phil.

I'll have the Autism Society here in Phoenix contact its counterpart in OZ.

Since parents and grandparents of autistic children have rather strong feelings about autism, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't an attitude-adjusting "visitation" right away ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I freely acknowledge the bipolar part, "know thyself" and all that, but I'm certainly not autistic... I'm too empathic, if anything. My wife is a speech pathologist and works with autistic kids daily, so she would know. We do have a common interest in the possible causes of autism, including the geek-mating effect, about which I posted a link recently.

Tall order.

John

It's not logical to me to insult people for what they are... autistic, stupid, black, gay, female, any of that.

What Phil really needs is for somebody to kidnap him and show him a good time.

John

Yes, a gang gay rape should do the trick ;-)

...Jim Thompson

"John Larkin Congenital Fuckwit "

** Well, you would say that wouldn't you.

** What pathetic drivel.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

She's not pathetic, she's nearly the ideal woman: smart, skinny, funny, feminine, and makes a lot of money. If you had a woman this good, you wouldn't be so crabby. Or vice versa. Whatever.

John

"John Larkin"

** Snipping and posting irrelevant responses is CLASSIC autistic behaviour.

Doing that same thing over and over is even more classis.

QED.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In article , CS wrote: [...]

Per inch, aluminum is only twice as bad as copper but way less expensive. Per pound it is better than copper.

If you are having problems with 60Hz, I wouldn't use either. Magnetic materials like iron do way better.

I seriously doubt the claim of 150dB with two layers of iron. If that was true there wouldn't be a market for 6 layer shield cans.

If this is a home project, I'd use thin "tin plate". Tin plate is tin plated iron. You can hook it together by soldering.

You may want two layers with a spacer between.

To see why work out the ouput voltage for these two circuits:

--the air --- 100K 1K 100V ---/\\/\\---/\\/\\----+----+---- Out ! ! \\ \\ 1.0 / / 1.0

Reply to
Ken Smith

"Ken Smith"

** Laughable nonsense.

Tin plate is a completely ineffective magnetic shield.

Did you read the OP's original idea at all?

" I'm planning to build a 2m x 2m Faraday's cage/booth to protect active electric guitar pickups from external electrostatic and electromagnetic noise 20hz-96khz "

The booth is the size of a toilet cubicle intended for a guitarist to sit in while he plays .

The OP is deluded plus has grossly exaggerated the hum problem.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In article , CS wrote: [...]

That sounds like electrostatic pick up is at least part of the problem. In the classic magnetic case, the signal nulls at 90 degrees and is inverted at 180.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Rich Grise wrote: [...]

Now you can get the first bit of AC power shielding from a system with magnetic sensors and bucking coils. They don't spec. the noise however.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

That is simply false. Tin plate I've tried was magnetic enough to provide shielding.

So, that is what he is planning on doing. If he was building one the size of a coffin it wouldn't have changed the answer.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

"Ken Smith"

** It is completely true.

** Bollocks !!!

Magnetic shielding requires special materials, like Mu-metal.

What do you think is used around CRTs inside scopes and for microphone transformers ?

Tin plate ??????

** So says an asinine, posturing fool.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Ken Smith"

** Those "emg" pickups are dual coil magnetic - you ass.

Look them up .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It was false when you first posted it and it remains false.

This is also simply not true. Any material that has a mu greater than free space will act as a shield. The higher the mu the better, provided it does not saturate.

Even fairly open structures like the body of a car, reduces the amplitude of the AC field seen inside.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

And you claim this explains the 180 degrees exactly how?

A dual coil pick up will still have its minimum and maximum at 90 degrees to each other unless you are claiming that the OP removed the strings and dug into the wall to make the distances small enough.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

"Ken Smith PITA Fucking Moron "

** Those "emg" pickups are dual coil magnetic - you ass.

Look them up YOU FUCKING IDIOT !!!!

The OP's story is a total crock of SHIT.

Reply to
Phil Allison

As I've mentioned, beefy Hoffmann steel electrical equipment boxes, with fully formed/welded corners and a tight cover, typically can't reduce an external 60 Hz field by even half. Thin steel lining a room will be much, much worse.

John