Building a Faraday's cage ?

=B6ci

ets

nd

If you can look at what load is fed through those particular wires, you might be able to turn it off as an experiment. If there is no load on the wires, there will be no current or magnetic field. If the noise is still present, you could conclude that it's electrostatic.=20

-- john

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

"CS" = one STUBBORN, SOB, graphic artist Puke

** HUH ???

YOU need to say how the HELL it demonstrates YOUR MAD CLAIM first.

** Fender Strats are the VERY WORST environmental hum field receivers ever sold !!!!

The stupid, plastic covered, single coil PUs are not even ES shielded !!!

Most of the wiring is NOT shielded

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

** What PEDANTIC TWADDLE.

GROW UP - you PITA BLOODY FOOL ! !

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"CS" = COMPLETE SHITHEAD !

** Add dumb as dog shit to.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

They got you to help them. Not so dumb are they?

Reply to
Earle

You should be able to know what the field is first. Take your equipment common and attach a wire to a piece of aluminum window screen or just plain alauminum metal. Wave it around with the guitar fixed. Then take a fairly large piece of steel and wave it around. If the first method made changes then thats a electrostatic field, and the second magnetic and partially electrostatic.

GS

Reply to
zekor

As others have noted, this problem may not be helped by a Faraday cage, which only provides electrostatic shielding. But it should be easy enough to test this for yourself, by wrapping your guitar in aluminum foil. (You should first wrap it in plastic so the foil doesn't contact the strings.) Then ground the foil... presto! A mini-Faraday cage!

Don't worry about the fact that Faraday cages usually use copper mesh. The difference here will be trivial, except to your wallet.

I'll be surprised if it solves your problem, but at least you'll know quickly and cheaply. And if it doesn't, I don't have any tricks to offer.... I've also had plenty of hum problems from alleged humbucker pickups. Which is pretty annoying considering that they cost more, sound worse, and have lower output than ordinary "hot" pickups.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

Two corrections:

1) a faraday cage shields agaist electrostatic and magnetic fields, in case of an AC field.

2) a faraday cage does not need to be grounded.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Thanks for the definition. In this real world situation, you have an imperfect cage, and you have things inside coupled to the outside.

greg

Reply to
GregS

** Straight from the Twilight Zone.....

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Meindert Sprang Dutch Fuckwit"

** Crapology !!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is ZERO attenuation of low frequency magnetic induction.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"GregS"

** NEVER mistake a *Daffy Notion" for a "definition".

Be like mistaking shit for chocolate.

Yuckee poo..........

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A Hoffmann 14-gauge formed-and-welded steel electrical enclosure is a pretty substantial hunk of metal, and won't dependably attenuate a 60 Hz magnetic field by 2:1, a mere 6 dB. And the bigger the box, the worse the shielding.

John

"jasen"

** Matches the *unbalanced* players .

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Q:How do you know when the stage is level?

A: The bass player is drooling out *both* sides of his mouth

---------

Q: What do you call a drummer that just broke up w / girlfriend?

A: Homeless

Couldn't resist.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

You're wasting your time !

I do know a guy who built a huge Faraday cage in Mark Knopler's studio in London btw.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You need a different guitar.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In my day they were called "screen rooms". We had one at Motorola SPD that was 10' X 10' X 10', 2" X 6" studs, wire mesh on both surfaces.

...Jim Thompson

London

There was something pretty similar to that at Kelvin Hughes radar. Interesting place to work for a while.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Almost. The currents induced in the conductor take energy off the field and thus attenuate it.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

"Meindert Sprang - Dutch Fuckwit "

** Sorry for the tautology.