Boost Converter Tutorial?

I have a Fairchild app note: AN-4105 that I've refereed to on occasion. Its for their line of power switch products, but its got some block diagrams, formulas, graphs and whatnot that are generic and describe operational issues.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Why does a self-proclaimed Master Circuit Designer need a tutorial on something so basic? And why can't he use Google to find it?

--
John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

Thanks! Looks like a good reference. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

If you were paying attention, and not just out to be a horse's ass, you'd note that I said I'd done a low current discontinuous _boost_ regulator many years ago, but not done a PWM continuous mode before.

But I am indeed a master circuit designer. SPECIFY me a function and I can do it. I just didn't (note the past tense) know the intricacies of fancy boost regulators ;-)

Google yields piles of unqualified crap. Friends give guidance, for which I am greatly appreciative! You are an enemy out to convince everyone how brilliant you are, at the expense of anyone who gets in your way. In fact, you're mediocrity personified. And, if you think it's so basic, give us all a primer. We're all in need of a good laugh ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"Aggro"?

Oh, my, how cute!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Perhaps Ian, upon completion of his engineering degree, will grace us with an elegant solution to the hub dynamo problem ?:-)

My only regret is that I wasted time trying to help Ian. It'll not happen again. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Well? Then show us how wonderful your design is.

You "ignore" because you are "ignorant". ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Thought you were running the math, not your mouth!

Reply to
Ian Field

--
I think neither is probable.
Reply to

Gosh, just how much help was he?

--
John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc
 Click to see the full signature

Dunno' - these days I just stand back and watch the amusing antics.

Reply to
Ian Field

OK it is not in my proper range of expertise, but there has to be a = reason that the device is not 2.5 mm by 10 mm (or even more square). Can you enlighten us?

Reply to
josephkk

Somewhere I believe LCD was mentioned. Typically TFTs have a little silicon chip cemented to the glass, providing interface (parallel, serial, whatever), control (for at least a buffer, if not some rudimentary fill routines), memory, and most importantly, the massive fanout (hundreds of rows and columns) required to drive the array itself (which is mainly crummy amorphous transistors driving pads which finally drive the liquid crystal). Last one I busted open had a shiny strip maybe 2 x 15 mm, a hi-def panel would have a lot more. Probably progress has been made since then and only a 1mm strip is required.

Putting inductors anywhere near one of those will be an interesting challenge, because the few components that come with are soldered to the flex cable. This includes bypass caps, which you may know from experience do not handle strain very well...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

I suspect it's a 1 mm sliver of a larger IC. Dicing yield would be a problem with something 40 thou wide and an inch long, not to mention the tendency of the chips to fall over. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nope. The real deal is 1mm x 25mm, with 480 "bumps". And this client just sold their BILLIONETH chip, so they're not amateurs. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Here's a smaller example of this genre of chip:

11mm x 1.21mm.

They're used in zillions of LCD (and I guess OLED) panels in all kinds of consumer goods (cell phones, GPS units, printer and camera displays etc. etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

In ways I will apply for patent, then explain ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

So it's totally wacky then.

:)

zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Continuous-mode PWM boost is just one baby step past trivial. All you minimally need to do is limit the ON duty cycle to a modest amount past what you need to overcome losses, to avoid the 100% ON singularity. It's been done zillions of times. If a uP is generating the PWM, you can do a smart algorithm with nice ramp-ups and stable current limiting.