blowing fuses

Okay, could be as simple as a bad supply in that unit.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Or, looked at another way, one load sees a higher voltage than it should, and the other sees a lower voltage than it should.

This has happened at our house twice, in the last 20 years - in both cases due to a squirrel (or possibly a tree rat) chewing through the neutral wire. The symptoms are quite striking - if you turn on a load on one circuit, lights on the other circuit become _brighter_. Very much not the usual behavior.

The electric company here considers an "open neutral" condition to be an emergency, due to the chance of the overvoltage causing damage to motors, burning out electronics, starting fires, and so forth. Each time I reported the problem, they rolled a repair truck at top priority and they were on-site within about half an hour.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Den mandag den 12. december 2016 kl. 21.08.07 UTC+1 skrev Dave Platt:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

bloggs.fred...

** Yes it is - you are merely over-fusing, a very stupid practice.

There is simply NO reason NOT to use a 2AT fuse.

You are just a PITA bullshit artist.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You're out of your league and a total waste of time. Get back to us when your book, How to Be Wrong ALL the Time, makes Top 10 on readings-for-the- mindless list.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

ular cable used AFTER them.

That's another misconception, and that is the fuse rating being the current at which the fuse interrupts the circuit. The fact is the fuse rating is t he current the fuse is designed to pass indefinitely without interrupting t he circuit. And the fuse only acts instantaneously, for practical purposes, at overcurrents that are a large multiple of the rating, like x2 or more. As overcurrents become less, and eventually approach the rating, the fuse r esponse time approaches infinity- infinity meaning it doesn't open at all. This is probably too much abstraction for your petrified miswired excuse fo r a brain, so I'll stop here.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

icular cable used AFTER them.

nt at which the fuse interrupts the circuit. The fact is the fuse rating is the current the fuse is designed to pass indefinitely without interrupting the circuit. And the fuse only acts instantaneously, for practical purpose s, at overcurrents that are a large multiple of the rating, like x2 or more . As overcurrents become less, and eventually approach the rating, the fuse response time approaches infinity- infinity meaning it doesn't open at all .

for a brain, so I'll stop here.

Reply to
Phil Allison

If they had to ask what the proper fuse is, it's possible that someone took the original fuse to use in something else. I've seen it in defective equipment, from schools.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

** The item being discussed has TWO identical fuses - in the hot and cold lines. It also VERY likely has the correct fuse type LABELLED on the back.

But that is not near enough to stop some budding rocket scientist type from fitting a completely wrong fuse - then crying like a baby when it does not do the job.

FYI: I have a box of maybe 150 3AG fuses extracted from the AC inlets of various guitar and PA amplifiers over the years - rated from 15 amps to 50 amps.

I live in a 240VAC country where the max allowed fuse size is 10 amps.

Not to not mention the number of strips aluminium foil wrapped around blown 2 and 5 amp fuses ....

As I have remarked previously - any user accessible fuse is NO safety device, at all.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah I didn't want to bore you with the whole story, but the student from the previous year "struggled" with the apparatus... didn't get it to work. (It's hard to know exactly what was going on.) Anyway current student found it with no fuses installed.

As pure conjecture I thought the previous student might have been trying to cycle the power in hopes of "resetting" the electronics. (A false hope in that it's almost all analog.... but who knows what students think these days.... )

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well it lists the fuse as 2A, but not as slo blo. We should probably add that to the label.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold