before GPS

The book is very good.

I've tried to visit the site, but it's inside Vandenburg AFB and visitors aren't allowed. I have a relative who is a jet fighter pilot, and he may be able to get us in.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Radio beacon nav is pretty damned accurate. He should have trusted the new gear. They would not have installed it if it were non- functional.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Things were so much harder still before chronometers. Longitude is a good book. Unfortunately it doesn't cover the following period (Kendall, Arnold, etc) which is also an important part of the story.

Reply to
Clifford Heath