Battery test - amazing

It happens all sorts of ways, like you said, like I said and various others. A lot of people seem very afraid of stepping outside of anything familiar. Sometimes it's not worth the risk, soemtimes it is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's never been a problem for me. I have no difficulties expounding in detail on topics about which I know little. Eventually, I get caught, but only after I get the contract to do the work, which is certainly worth the risk. Perception is everything.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yep. I just cleaned out a pair of FRS radios where the four AAA Duracell alkaline batteries had leaked into the circuitry and rotted out all the copper traces. This kind of stuff seems to be happening more frequently. Duracell seems to be the worst, but only because they're also the most common battery manufacturer.

I've taken to wrapping the batteries in cellophane wrap and packing the empty spaces with open cell styrofoam packing material. The cellophane doesn't do much because the leaks always come from the ends of the batteries, but does help if the case splits. The styrofoam absorbs any liquid electrolyte. It doesn't stop it from corroding the terminals, but does limit its spread into the rest of the electronics.

The first step to solving a problem is to blame someone. I guess blaming "industrial engineers" will suffice. This article claims that hydrogen gas produced during discharge increases internal pressure: So, I put a tray of 4 AA alkaline cells into low level discharge inside a zip-loc bag. It's now about 6 months and there's no sign of corrosion or gas accumulation. I'm not surprised as the hydrogen will probably diffuse through the plastic bag. Ask me again at the 12 month point. However, all batteries are not created equal: I'm testing Kirkland (Costco) AA cells, not Duracell. When I tested Duracell AA batteries in roughly the same manner last year, they started to corrode after about 4 months, with no gas accumulation.

I don't think Duracell supplies private label retailers, but I'm not certain. As I understand it, Duracell OEM sales all packaged and marked with the Duracell name:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I recall looking at user's reports that closely examined a variety of AA cells and found the Costco and Duracells had the same two indentations on the battery ends the other brands didn't.

Interestingly enough out of all the brands tested for capacity, the Sunbeam (Dolllar Tree) or Thunderbolt (Harbor Freight) are about as good as any and much cheaper at $0.25 or less.

--

Rick
Reply to

I've had all brands of alkalines leak. The key is to not leave them in the appliance if they're even close to being discharged. I keep a bunch of flashlights in the kitchen drawer, in case of power outages. If they're used, I immoderately replace all the batteries.

That's the only advantage of branded batteries.

Reply to
krw

I forgot to mumble that cellophane wrap works fairly well at making it easier to extract bulging batteries from aluminum flashlights. The potassium hydroxide electrolyte will attack the aluminum causing the corrosion products to expand and jam the cell in the aluminum flashlight tube. The cellophane will help prevent this (except near the ends) plus make the mess easier to extract.

Hmmm... Y'er right: I just dug out a Kirkland AA which says "Distributed by Costco Wholesale Corporation" and "Made in U.S.A." I don't have any Duracell AA batteries to compare right now.

I have a West Mtn Radio CBA-II discharge tester and can probably check that assertion: Mostly, I've been doing LiIon and NiMH, not NiCd or Alkaline. (Yet another project).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

** For AA alkalines, 4mA is a very small current draw and the cell voltage is way down.

Rechargeable cells normally show a sudden fall in voltage when approaching exhaustion, particularly at high current drain as the internal impedance rises dramatically.

However, non-rechargeables show a more gradual trailing off at the end of their life. All depends on the load conditions.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

People do not like it when you f*ck with their little world. Should've told them "Well good, my credit is at the 99th percentile and I got more cool shit in my shnop than you'll EVER have. Nya nya nya nya nya".

They understand shit like that.

Reply to
jurb6006