battery recommendation

Hi all, I need an 15V o/p battery that can drive an embedded system for a few days continuously. the range is around 200Ah. What I need is a battery that is portable with 200-250Ah capacity with 15V o/p. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Wills

Are you sure of your numbers? 250Ah can supply 1 amp continuosly for

10 days. I would also guess it's going to be a big battery and not very portable.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Maybe a lead-acid deep cycle battery. Should be $150-$600 and weigh a couple hundred pounds, which is somewhat portable.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'm afraid you are either stuck with 12V (actually 11V to 15V) or 24V (11 to 130V) batteries. A 200Ah lead acid battery will be twice or triple the size and weight of your car's battery.

If you want portability you might want to look into Lipoly batteries. These provide the best weight/capacity ratio at this moment but they require special charge circuitry and are quite expensive. I'd choose an output voltage around 24V and convert it down with a switcher.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

How critical is the 15 volts? Can you accept 11 volts?

My only thought is two, 6 volt "golf cart" deep-cycle lead-acid batteries in series - this will give you about 225AH to full discharge, but the voltage will be down to 10.5 or so at that point.

If you really need 15 volts, I'd use three GC batteries in series, and a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to 15.

Unfortunately, neither solution meets my definition of "portable" as each battery weighs 62 pounds.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

What they said - at that Ah rating you're either looking at the weight of lead-acid or the capital and charger cost of a lithium chemistry. If 200+ Ah of lead acid meets your portability requirement, then a small boost switcher will give you a decent 15V over the whole discharge range of a "12V" battery.

Reply to
who where

"Wills" kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@d15g2000prj.googlegroups.com...

If disposable battery is ok then zinc-air is quite light but you should really rather make your embedded system more energy-efficient than use insane sized batteries.

-ek

Thanks for the replies. 27 kg is not a that heavy for me. It is fine. If it is safe to handle it much desired.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Wills

If the battery output is anywhere beween 10 and 24 V , it will work for us.

Reply to
Wills