Base-collector junction as analog input stage protection

Hi all,

To build limiters that protect my analog input stages, I use for years the base-collector junction of transistors instead of simple diodes. This improves the SNR (the base-collector junction seems less noisy than the diode junction). It has become a reflex and now I am not able to find the justification again. And unfortunately, I did not found anything on this subject. Does anyone have an application note on the subject or just a better memory than mine?

Thank you in advance

Thoma

Reply to
Thoma

Try comparing guaranteed leakage currents. You can buy low leakage diodes, but they tend to be more expensive than jelly-bean transistors

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Yeah, much lower leakage currents. This is a nice article,

mping_techniques.php

George H. (If the link doesn't work, then search for EDN +bounding and clamping)

Reply to
George Herold

The c-b junction of a BFT25 leaks roughly 20 fA at room temp. It's tricky to measure.

John

You probably want to do the EB short. Floating anything is a bad idea, and high fields lead to junction damage which will surely leak.

Generally when you ESD test a chip, you keep zapping until you see junction damage. This sets a "known quantity" on how much the device can take. [It isn't exactly kosher since you do multiple tests on the same pin and often go test another pin after zapping an adjacent pin.] However, you also zap a rail at your factory spec and run them through ATE, just to insure nothing bad happened internally.

Reply to
miso

Hi George,

Many thanks.

It is exactly this article I search for.

Regards,

Thoma

Reply to
Thoma

What is far better, is to measure the NF before and after ONE test. Betcha the results will raise your eyebrows and swear off multiple testing like that..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I found something like a few pA for a 2n3904. But the opamp leakage was also ~ 10pA so that was about my limit.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hmm, I left the emitter floating. (That's the way Bob P. drew it.) Does shorting EB change anything?

I tested the ESD protection on our diode laser by first scuffing up a big charge and touching things.

I then got this piezo sparker from a butane lighter and zapped it with that. (both polarities.) Watching the laser diode output you could see little spikes in the light if any charged leaked in.

ESD damage also tended to 'wonk' the wavelength a little.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold