B&K Precision Power Supply

We bought a B&K 1788 programmable power supply, that claims to be

0-32V/0-6A. When we tried to use it, we were never able to get more than a couple of amps out of it, under any load. When we tried to run a DC motor on it, it settled on a current of about 1/2 A, at about 1V, not enough even to turn the shaft. Putting a 3ohm resistor across it, programming for 10V and 3A, we should have gotten a constant current of 3A at a voltage of 9V, but got 2.46V at 0.81A. With a 9.1ohm load, setting voltage for 24V and current for 3A, we got 11.68V at 1.31A.

Finally, while running the motor with a 3ohm resistor in series, it ran at 24V and 1.49A with the shaft free-running. Putting a finger load on the shaft, the current increased to 2.5A, and then a relay in the unit clicked and the voltage dropped back to 15V. Around then, it started emitting epoxy-smelling smoke.

Although the unit is spec'ed at 32V, it can't even be programmed to that- anything higher than 31V gets trimmed to 31 on the display.

Has anyone here used this supply, and found it not to be a piece of shit? I'd like to know if we should return it for warranty repair or try to get our money back.

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

In message , dated Thu, 7 Sep 2006, John O'Flaherty writes

It's what's known as 'faulty'. Don't condemn the design because you have a moribund sample, not even a 'Friday afternoon' sample. Talk to your supplier - politely. At least, politely to begin with. (;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Hello John,

Epoxy-smelling smoke? My advice: Return it, asap.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

We bought a BK Precision 1760A a few years ago. When I unpacked it, I heard something rolling around inside. So I took the cover off and found 2 or 3 small screws that had likely come loose during shipping. After locating the places where thay came from, I replaced them, closed the unit up, plugged it in and it has worked just fine ever since.

Cheers,

Trevor Leger

John O'Flaherty wrote:

Reply to