automotive electrical noise detector

Hi Group,

I am working on a project which will detect if a automobile is running. The output of sensor would be a TTL high for running and a TTL low for not running. The circuit will be inside the car, most likely in the glove compartment or storage compartment. It will not be connected to the automobile and run off of batteries.

My thoughts are to use a common 455KHz IF filter and amplitude detect or a 10.7 MHz IF filter and do the same.

Which frequency would be better and/or easier to design around? (455KHz or

10.7MHz). How about VHF or a super-reg with a wide bandwidth?

How much gain would a stage following an IF filter require such that it could be used as a level detect?

Other suggestions? (I want to stay away from any connections into the car).

Paul

Reply to
PDRUNEN

Turn the music off and listen? Change from a Rolls to a banger? Hang a small bell in the engine compartment? Look at the oil pressure light?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

How about a solid state air flow detector (vane) in the tail pipe, or is that too complex?

Reply to
Robert Baer

ONce had a boat tachometer that had a tunned diode receiver that ran on ignition noise. mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Make that TUNNEL DIODE

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html
mike

Wot's youre real objective?

Most cars have enough Idiot lights to tell you they are turned on and running or not.

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to