Automotive '12V' Power

Driving up I80, my A3 pop'd up a big warning icon in the middle of the display, wiping out a lot of useful stuff. We speculated on its possible meaning, not a clue. Mo fired up her Ipad and looked it up. Turns out its a burned-out taillight bulb, one bulb of six. Why couldn't it say that in English? It gives me safety lectures in English. Why couldn't they use LEDs?

I tried to get at it, not a clue how. So I went online and eventually found the way in... hidden cover plate, exotic extended nut deep in the dark inside, deep-socket wrench, yank the assembly off, tricky sequence. So I replaced all 6 bulbs, since most are looking darkish. Finally got the gaskets to line up by adding a lot of electrical tape.

Cool. I put it back together, and the warning is replaced by a command to call an 800 number. WTF, am I going to get lectured for an unauthorized repair? So I called the number. Turns out it's an advertisement for Sirius satellite radio.

Futzed with the radio, got the ad to go away, and then a low-gas warning pops up in its place. Filled it up ($54) and now everything looks OK.

John

Just the piles of bleached bones in the drivers' seats.

John

Welcome to my nightmare.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

While we were back in VT, week before last, the low fuel light came on (there isn't much on I89 between White River and Stowe). When I noticed it the low coolant light was on too. Yikes! I checked the overflow and the level was fine. Filled up and both went out. Well, it is going on 12 years old (but only 105K miles). I want another two or three years out of it but such things are scary.

Reply to
krw

In Europe they love cryptic pictograms. I usually write it out on a yard sale sticker and stick that next to the light or switch. But in the GUI you can't do that. They have some weird rules that if it's text it must be available in xx languages of it ain't PC. May be that's the reason. Same with traffic signs. Some are so weird you'd think what on earth they could mean. Others are downright funny. I've seen one of these slightly modified with two dots, I guess you you know where ...

Sometimes there are secret tricks. For example, for my cell phone there's a hack so it displays real RF levels instead of these stupid bars.

They shouldn't be darkish, you A3 can't be older than, what, three years? My Mitsubishi is 14 now and not one bulb dared to burn out or darken.

AFAIK each Chevy Volt even has its onw IP address.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's so Obama can track your movements.

Reply to
krw

WARNING! BLACK BRA ZONE.

2008, 35K miles. Maybe the original owner drove a lot at night, slowly.

John

Sure! Or, the next time I head Arizona way... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Well today, it is supposed to be 113, but the humidity is so high I can't see across the valley! I walked out at 8 this morning, smelled it, and walked back in and turned the AC back on! I usually turn it off, and use the little evap cooler till noon...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

yes,we also had the "at least two people in the shop" rule for working on equipment.(repairing/calibrating.) I was usually the first in in the morning(40-45 min early,every day),so I did paperwork and other "non-technical" stuff until the next guy arrived.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

$54 ? that's it? That'll only tease my jeep..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Great! I'm heading back East right now, but it's possible I may be back at Rancho Mirage mid-August. ...Jim Thompson

Yep, "monsoon" is boiling up here as well ;-) ...Jim Thompson

42V is something I have heard talk about - as in 18 lead-acid cells (or three 6-cell batteries) in series, (AKA 36V), or 10 Li-ion cells in series - while being charged to close to full charge. (Although in the lead-acid case this can get to 43.2-43.5V for highish side.)

I have heard of 42V back about a decade ago. But that has not made its way much into cars with fuel-powered engines responsible for their locomotion.

So, where is this even-higher 48V coming from? What is that for? Could the voltage be more like 56V, possibly 57.6-58V, while the battery is being topped off or has full charge being maintained?

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to

Actually, it's 36-42V (eighteen lead-acid cells) instead of 12-14.7V (six lead-acid cells) and they call it '42V' because that's the expected level in normal operation. The idea is to lower the cost of conductors for electric wiring harnesses, I'd suspect. Thinner wires, but same or better power carrying capacity.

Reply to
whit3rd

Devereux

Vladimir

Thompson

happens=20

or=20

kick start it with 480 V AC 3 phase , the car is accelerated past the = speed limit, the chassis shot full of holes by the FBI, the neighbours = hold a barbecue under the engine block, shooting up through the van Allen= belt the cars radio antenna generates a huge EMF because of the earth = magnetic field, it gets out into space, is entered by an alian who uses = the cigarette lighter to charge his fasor, and in a case like that you = better add an extra zener.

With that last coldish storm and the announcements of being open for skiing on the 4th? Skiing in swimsuits anyone? Be real outre and ski in a top hat and tails.

Reply to
josephkk

start it with 480 V AC 3 phase , the car is accelerated past the speed limit, the chassis shot full of holes by the FBI, the neighbours hold a barbecue under the engine block, shooting up through the van Allen belt the cars radio antenna generates a huge EMF because of the earth magnetic field, it gets out into space, is entered by an alian who uses the cigarette lighter to charge his fasor, and in a case like that you better add an extra zener.

I have seen that done. And I've seen ski streaking. I expect lots of shorts and tee shirts, and probably a lot less, today. The snow will probably be terrible, but I just want to say I skiied on the 4th.

The only essential garments are boots and gloves.

John

Sorry about the 'back east' part... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Probably. I've heard the 42V (as you note, 3 * 14V) nominal number, too. The idea is to keep the system under the UL magical 60V number.

"The limiting factor for direct voltages is a shock-hazard protection limit of 60V, which must not be exceeded even during voltage fluctuations caused by extreme conditions. This limit eliminates the option of an automotive electrical system with a nominal battery voltage of 48V, because at low temperatures the charging voltage of the battery can attain 60V."

krw

Wescott

electronics that

power --

enough)

delicate

homebrew

protection

though--about

Hmmm. I think that currently that 100 V diode types are kind of a no = ones land. In the gap between signal diodes (silicon), LV power diodes (silicon), HV Schottky power diodes. Then again, i may once again, be full of baloney.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk