Arrhenius activation energy for Copper and tin migration (in fluids) susceptibility

Hi

In the electronics industry they use the Arrhenius model for reliability engineering, esp in migration susceptibility. One of the figure used in the Arrhenius equation is the activation energy. They tend to use a figure between 0.5eV and 0.9eV, and seems to be based on empirical data. Can anyone help me understand where they may have got these figures e.g. is it the migration susceptibility of say copper or tin ? Also, where could I ref. the activation energies for different metal?

Regards

Wayne

Reply to
WayneL

Perhaps the Chem Rubber handbook might have a table or data on that or related values.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Values in there do not tie up with the value between 0.5eV - 0.9eV (I am looking at the Work Function)???

Wayne

Reply to
WayneL

I had thought that work functions would seem to be what you could use. In looking at values, contact potentials are a better "fit". Also, look at the difference of potential between metals in solution of salts. This last one might be considered in relation to a corrosive environment; moisture and oxygen combined can be considered corrosive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Copcutt