are all the function generators gone?

Take a look at this:

The idea adds value. If it included an input for a 10MHz reference, too...

Anyway, still throwing ideas together and thinking.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Digital scopes don't need timebase checking, and DC is good enough for checking the vertical.

I think I met that swap-meet scope guy. I wanted to buy a scope and he said it worked. I offered him a check with the understanding that I'd stop payment if it didn't work. He refused.

Another swap-meet trick. If somebody says "I don't know if it works", then it doesn't.

But ebay has mostly killed the electronic flea markets. Most ebay stuff *does* work.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I think George wasn't thinking of excluding training on analog scopes. Whether or not a replacement design chooses to consider them is another matter, of course. But since a new design is still in the research stage, everything is on the table so to speak, I think.

it

In case others might wonder what you are referring to and haven't read the ebay link, the ebay seller (Reed Dickinson) writes this about his experience with swap meets:

I recently attended the bi-monthly electronics swap meet in Santa Ana, CA. There was an out-of-state vendor there who had a number of Tektronix 475A and 485 oscilloscopes that were very reasonably priced. The vendor assured me that all of these oscilloscopes were in working order; however, there was no power available to verify this statement. I accepted this explanation and after several minutes of intense haggling we arrived at a mutually agreeable price and then I was the proud owner of four 485 and three 475A Tektronix oscilloscopes. During the next week I fired them up and found that only two of the 475A's and none of the 485's had a trace visible on them. One of the 485's was lacking the inverter board and as well had no tunnel diodes nor any of the socketed ICs. Needless to say, I was not a happy shopper. And to top it all off, I did not get the seller's contact information. I decided that I needed a portable calibration tester and a very long extension cord. I do not design extension cords but I do design portable testers; the Pyramid Generator is the culmination of that effort.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

< snip then detailed answer>

Thanks a bunch.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

A lot more than you'd bargained for, eh?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan