Anybody used the 3D printer at the UPS store?

I played around with it too. The silicone mold-making materials are more flexible - so they stretch further on removal but have poorer accuracy. The polyurethane mold materials are preferred because you can get fairly high duro ratings which makes the mold much stiffer and more accurate, but beware that some of them have quite low strength, so they tear easily when stretched.

And yes, vacuum is necessary unless you're using "water thin" materials, and is a benefit even then. You need time for the vacuum to work, which means you need a slower cure (mix, vacuum, mold), and it's all messy and time consuming. I eventually got my process to an acceptable level, then found another way to achieve my desired result.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

rinting/

se

e.

Kinda off thread, But I was ordering $33 each pcb's from advanced circuits, and found that they have reduced the minimum number. (Maybe due to competition?) At one time it was 3, so ~$100 for a run. Then went to 4, but is now

  1. So for I've got a pcb... (I ordered 2, so I can make a mistake. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

n:

pson:

e:

ilament.

ake

.

ime

imsy

You mean the "scream/tear your hear out" part? :)

Folsom Library allows one free 3D print per week (they're only open one day a week), up to 2 hours of printing time (if the printing software says the object will take more than 2 hours to print, you have to resize it or prin t something else). Frequently when I stopped by 2 hours later to pick up m y part, the volunteers who man the printers said the printing failed and th ey had to re-start.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

That's pretty amazing. Even at $33 each that is a great deal. What delivery time and how many layers/size? Can you specify the stack? I expect not as they have to be batching them. I like to use two inner layers for power that are very close spaced to increase the capacitance. It helps with noise reduction on small boards which don't have much area.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Three(?) days, IIRC.

Two layers.

Nope.

4pcb.com.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yeah I think it is usually a week for the board to arrive at my door.

They do four layers for $66 each. But on all there are limits on cut-outs and things.

The good deal for us is that once I have the proto, I can re-order the pcb in quantity and save some of the set-up charges.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yep, it's a good deal.

2 layers / 60 in^2 / 3 days / qty >= 1 / $33. 4 layers / 30 in^2 / 5 days / qty >= 4 / $66.

Here's the link:

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Oh, thanks James I didn't know the minimum quantity was a limited time offer. I better hurry up and get some layouts done!

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

We recently got 20 four-layer boards, 100 x 120 mm, blue mask with white silk, 6/6 rules, from PCBWay for under $200, shipped in 2-3 days, delivered in 4 or 5. They also sell stencils stiffened with these Godzilla aluminum channels for super cheap.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

PCB production has come a long way in 20 years. I remember getting quotes on a tiny PSU board, less than an inch square some 15 years ago. The Chinese were just beginning to be a force in the US market. The US vendors wanted to charge some minimum per board that made it prohibitive to make. I was talking to one vendor about just leaving it as a scored panel to lower the per piece price and he practically yelled at me "I've got to eat too!" Let's just say it didn't get produced domestically.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Vent it!

lunatic fringe electronics

Seems they have not figured it out yet, unnamed sources notwithstanding.

They apparently had a laser cutter too, which would be much more likely to cause problems if they were cutting the wrong stuff and not venting the fumes. CO does not come from FDM printers. Laser cutters literally burn the plastic, usually with assist from compressed air at the beam.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany