anybody ever used 11 equalizers in series?

interesting there's been no feedback on this

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nice pipework! But wouldn't a Real Man(tm) connect his EQs together with pipes that had hunky EP connectors on the ends ;}

Reply to
piglet

My brain just can't get wrapped around the idea of typing one channel of digital audio data in binary form at 24000Hz sample rate, much less the more traditional two channels at 44,100Hz.

good one, jan

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

I don't believe telephone calls are routed through any satellites these days. The delay is too long. The half second delay mucks up conversations.

Most are recorded well in advance.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, they leav out alot of things. Assad did not use the gas on the people, and how many know about the new pipeline going through Hungary that is going to cost western ogliarchs billions of dollars ?

If you want the opposite slant, and they got slant, all off them, there is always RT.com. They reported ahout the guy whose tap water was flammable due to an accident during fracking. There is also PressTV in Iran.

I am not saying any of them are not biased, but you get the other side of the story.

Ifamericansnew (that's a site BTW) they would, ummm, they would probably go back to watching the football or whatever game.

Reply to
jurb6006

You might be right :

Anyway, latency is not always caused by the slow speed of light. Any encodi ng/decoding scheme that needs random access memory also causes it. I have s een TVs with an audio sync control. I guess they really don't have their sh it together.

Know when you REALLY become aware of propogation delay ? When you are talki ng to someone on the cellphone and then get into earshot of each other. It happens like when someone gives you directions to somewhere or something li ke that. And of course when decadent Americans let their kids play with the phones.

I think up to about 3 seconds is relatively transparent. The time you usual ly hear it is when the other party on a cell uses the speakerphone or has t heir volume high enough to provide feedback. You hear that echo, but that i s double the actual propogation delay.

Reply to
jurb6006

No it doesn't. Three seconds, well maybe for some people would be OK. Maybe not for those who yell and screanm at each other.

Reply to
jurb6006

Tell ya what, let's say I just take your word for that.

But there are still extant questions, the first and foremost of which is - WHY ?

I mean, why do that when all you need is a couple OP AMPs and a few caps an d resistors ? Are you hardware ripping this audio or something ? That would be one way, and really the way to actually change the file. If I do a hard ware rip with Adobe Audition for example, the PC's EQ must be turned off or set to flat or the recording will have been equalized. I don't want that.

Another thing I wonder is why 11 of them ? You really need like 80 dB range ? What the hell you filtering over there ?

Now I could understand tandem equalizers if you are using them for Bose 901 s. A regular unit with like 12 or 15 dB range is not enough for them.

BTW, about regular stand alone EQ units, like a ten band, a buddy of mine i s learning electronics and I put a 1 kHz square wave through a tenband and started screwing with the controls. Shoulda seen this guy, he was amazed. K now what ? At work they got like a 31 band job with probably +/- 18 dB rang e. Bet I could do some real waveform art with that one.

Reply to
jurb6006

You're nuts.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Feb 2015 06:27:12 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

mm, he does not mention 'tee'.

'tee' splits the output (like a T junction)m, one goes to a file, teh other to stdout.

Yes, DOS, some still use it. All I remember was that in win98 my DOS flight simulator no longer worked. Linux came and I was out of there.

Of course it has issues, I had a long email exchange with somebody where I told him about my view 'wheel mathematics'. Some time ago (discussion about something here, arbitrary long numbers IIRC), I used the 'bc' calculator in Linux to print PI to 40,000 decimals. It took a while, But for ME, if the wheel runs smoothly, it is good enough for me. My use of mathematics stops usually at 5% (at the most 1%) components, specifications, as the rest is usually total bull anyways, The wheel came first, the babble about PI later. I guess for simulators (those who..) there is no limit and 40,000 is not enough (as in the world is not enough, some movie, not very good though). I vaguely remember putting test tones (with the 'sgen' signal generator program, into xpequ, and those appeared where I wanted them to be. That is good enough for me for audio. It also has a scope mode, try it. You can see clipping in audio that way, much more important actually.

No, you run many instances of the same program, but each is a different program. It does have a remote function to control an other one though. From the user POV it is just n mechanical equalizers (mechanical as being 'hardware') in series. You can twiddle each of those.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Feb 2015 06:51:16 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

LOL, the first is the narrow band FM modulated RF signal at 430275000 Hz, xpeque shows the DEMODULAted signal.

The equalizer filter code comes from xine, as stated.

Well I tested it, and so can you.

Any bugs are actually features. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There is no nee for tee.

dir > a.txt | type a.txt

for example

Thanks for the education, jan.

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:20:28 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

To demonstrate the use of pipes for those who did not have that clue.

This is the sad part of the world, I can 'build' that thing in a fraction of a second on the command line in a script. It is faster, cheaper, better, and less chances of errors. Virtually (now there is word!!) all the signal processing these days is in software or firmware.

I dare say that without knowing those tools, without knowing at least ONE programming language, maybe even many asm, you are severely handicapped in electronics these days, Not only do you need to know that to drive most (i2c or SPI, or whatever protocol) chips, you also have to display data, provide controls on one of those 'rubbing screens' or for a rodent input device, or for a voice controlled input device, or for ... anything goes basically.

? When you talk companies like Adobe, they are in it for the money, they will avoid some simple universal system at all cost, it is their business model. They avoid open source, and just want you to subscribe to every bug release they come out with, that hen usually is slower and backdoored by NSA anyways.

mm, yes, sure I should have used 12, but I guess my screen was full. Prime numbers perhaps? 17? :-)

Somebody were I once lived was into Bose speakers, he had some story about reflected sound from walls, I though Bose sounded like shit. Much later somebody did the Bose thing in a big theater, he got bad reviews (it sounded like shit to me too). It is a brand, good marketing does not mean a good product, see MS, see Samsung, many others.

Yes square waves, but then you will also realize that phase changes cannot so easily be heard. Audio is fun, I used to work some years in an film audio synchronization center, where they put audio and voice-over under movies (film in those days, not video tape). We had real record players, with 'needles' you would not believe, would cut right through a 'modern'

45 rpm single. Amazing, remember designing audio prepamp for a 35 mm film projector, optical track pickup, used some PBY??? diode, now and people in the country watching liked the sound. What more can you want? :-)
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Feb 2015 06:29:03 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Well, ladies (and gm) see my reply to that other poster.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Feb 2015 15:54:16 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Yes, this is why I like my satellie dish, it is steerable, many many many stations, many in English too. Good to see some other viewpoints, the US one you already hear all day long.

I think for the US much is below the horizon, but on the west coast you should be able to pick up something. To find sats and 'alien' programs i use this site:

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:25:42 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in :

blah, maybe you dont know, but that is the point of an equalizer, to set that, LOL

Never used NT, why advertize it?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

e:

:

he right.

tra.

me?

You seem determined to miss the point. A graphic equaliser has a flat respo nse within a certain quantity of dB when set flat, but its not exactly flat , but near enough. 11 in series is going to produce unwanted variations eve n in the band where the sliders are set flat. How it responds will depend o n how its implemented.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On a sunny day (Wed, 11 Feb 2015 03:36:21 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in :

OK, try the '0' setting of the sliders. If you think it peaks (I have a sweep audio file here, nice to see any effects, just scope the output, dB meter, whatever), thne just slightly change the related slider.

It is true 'equalizers' are not accurate to within 10^-24 or so.

Unlike many audiophiles I cannot hear those differences. :-) Hey, I can hardly hear above 12kHz these days, was testing yesterday with some new Sennheiser earplugs.

Used to be able to tune 15625 kHz H sync TV by ear. Music still sounds OK though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje