anemometer

You won't be able to achieve 3% precision over the whole range.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Find the "Heating air in a wind tunnel" thread on this newsgroup and
read it.
Reply to
John Fields

I'm going to build simply hot-wire anemometer. It have to work width

3,3V supply. Precision: 1 meter per second. Full scale: 0m/s to 30m/s. Have you any idea?
Reply to
jacub

Run a search through Electronic Design or EDN for design ideas by Woodward- he has several good anemometer designs published. The 3.3V limitation will have to be handled by boost power supplies on board.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

He wants a digital circuit anyway.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

This might be more in line with what you're looking for:

Fred Bloggs

There was one he published just after that expanding upon the technique and improving the accuracy. Note that his circuits consume *lots* of current too.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Works with thermistors as well. I did such in my Bachelor's thesis on blood flow measurement with catheter-mounted thermistors (MIT/Harvard Med School/Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, 1962).

...Jim Thompson

I think it's good idea. This seems to be fine also.

jacub

So this method will be more precision?

Reply to
jacub

Hmm. What do You think about idea with Wheatston bridge and broken bulb. Voltage from bridge will be passed on ADC converter.

Reply to
jacub

At least, make it differential,one wire shielded from the moving air, the other not,that gives you temperature compensation,and less dependancy on the type of wire.Feed both wires with a current source, and measure the voltage difference between them.

Burry.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I've got a schematic, but it's Germanium transistors ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Have You any example schematic or some materials?

Reply to
jacub

Nichrome wire is not costly and is easily obtained. It is durable even when red hot, as in electric heaters.

The disadvantage of Nichrome is that its resistance varies very much less with temperature than that of platinum. But you may get enough variation for your purpose.

John Woodgate

The best results I should achieve when I'll use a platinum wire, but I have a problem to get this wire.

Reply to
jacub

We have two real ones up on eBay.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

IOW, if you could afford platinum wire, you could afford to hire somebody to tell you how windy it is? ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

I couldn't find them.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

There was the dual metal ball one that was in the Nov 95 issue of "Scientific American" A number of folk got good results from these, and claimed accuracy of a few % and resolution of better than 0.1m/s. However it operates off 9 volts. DC-DC switcher?

Reply to
Barry Lennox