Analog Devices/Linear

Once Maxim sampled me 3000 pieces of an ECL comparator.

lunatic fringe electronics

Second prize was 6000 pieces.

Reply to
krw

Looks like it's in Chelmsford, about 20 miles north.

Reply to
bitrex

Not even close. More like 50 miles north-east.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Westwood to Chelmsford is about 20 as the crow flies; it's about 30 by car because you have to wind up 128 which bears to the east and then head back westwards on Route 3, now don't you tell me how far away shit is in my home state on roads I've driven twelve thousand times you goony limey Brit!!!!1111

Reply to
bitrex

Depends which country you're in!

Chris

Yes, the story of how MIT grads Ray Stata and Matthew Lorber left the booming 128 technology corridor of Massachusetts right next door to found their semiconductor startup 4,000 miles away in some podunk hamlet in eastern England is a fascinating tale!

Reply to
bitrex

Why do you hate the English so much?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don't really, my family is mostly of Scots-Irish and English descent, this guy was one of my great-great-great etc. grandfathers:

More English than many Americans, probably. But I am descended from people who were apparently too insufferable for even the English to deal with, so...

Reply to
bitrex

England is infested with the descendants of people who didn't have the get- up-and go to emigrate to places where land was essentially free.

It doesn't make the descendants of the stick-in-the-muds all that unpleasan t, but they can be unenterprising and complacent with it.

I got on a lot better with the Scots and Welsh in the UK than the native-bo rn little-Englanders, but I had much the same experience with my ten years in Melbourne. When I count up my friends from that time only two of them we re actually born in Melbourne. My wife is one of them, but she spent most o f her childhood in Tasmania so doesn't count as somebody who is proud of be ing born in Melbourne. The other one is nuts - in a very productive way - a nd probably not any more representative of the residents born there.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In practice, the excess population (2nd,3rd sons etc.) had to emigrate since the 1st son inherited the farm.

The situation was the same 500 years earlier in Scandinavia, when the rapid population growth caused colonies to be created in England and Normandy and up to Vinland in the West and Russia with trade relations with Constantinople and Baghdad in the East.

What we are seeing today is that the excess population (high birth rate) in sub-Sahara is trying to emigrate to already densely populated Europe across the Mediterranean in Zodiacs.

Reply to
upsidedown

And with the Trump administration once again defunding international Planned Parenthood resources, you can expect that number to increase.

Reply to
bitrex

And some expats can be excessively smug and self-righteous :) (No, I'm not referring to you.)

Mensch ist mensch.

People are people.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well, if you discount the fact that there were people already living in most of those places who kind of liked the way things were already and would have to be, ah, "dealt with."

It didn't seem to perturb the settlers one bit. Looking at the average descendant one might come to the conclusion the apple didn't fall very far from the tree.

Reply to
bitrex

Manhattan was purchased from its original owners for about $1,000. Some real estate was worth quite a lot more to the people who bought it than it had been to the people who sold it.

Trump does seem to be that kind of deal-maker, but the deals that ended in bankruptcies don't make it into the history books.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to