Amusing hybrid circuit

Right, by tuning out the C. Fun story: I read the J. Williams book, and was thinking about fast photodiodes. I thought, "Hmm I wonder if anyone used a T-coil with a photodiode front end." A search and bingo! I discovered Phil Hobbs.

It was notes from some talk at a school. (Colorado?) I couldn't find it again... but scroll way down here.. page 75.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

One photodiode circuit (for people who don't believe in noise) dumps the diode current into a resistor and then amplifies that voltage. Add a small inductor in series with the resistor to peak things up.

The thing about t-coils is that they are hard to make. It has been done with wire bond loops!

lunatic fringe electronics

On Wednesday, 27 March 2019 16:43:15 UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ...

That's better - in that schematic there are small trimmer caps between the anodes rather than shorts, presumably to trim the waveform response.

I've used an Agilent 7-stage one to drive an optical modulator with ~30GHz bandwidth. I think it provided about +/- 4v differential output.

kw

Reply to
keith

Right - the whole idea of the distributed amplifier is to make the tubes' plate to ground and grid to ground capacitances parts of discrete-component transmission lines.

The trimmers are to compensate for differences in tube units. There are more trimmers in the discrete delay lines to the deflection plates.

--

-TV
Reply to

I don't know the answers to all your questions unfortunately. :( I don't touch the drink anymore tho it's not good for u. soldering and sex are my only "vices" these days you might not think these things would be a "crossover genre" but you might be surprised the kinda topics one can bring up on a first date that at the very least makes a lady think "Well, he's at least a bit, ah, different than the other bros"

Reply to
bitrex

Heh. Helps that I'm still young. My consumption has been up this month, working a consult job with a major corporation. Needless to say, I do not miss the corporate life. ;-)

Cheers!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Why would anyone want a circuit like that? You don't even have real feedback. Is it some kind of tube distortion emulator?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred