Aluminum ion secondary cells

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Neat, This says it has only 1/4 the energy density of LiPo.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

DBBS, Daily Battery Breakthrough Syndrome.

John (who doesn't have a smartphone)

(but almost collided yesterday with a big guy who does)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's why I navigate thru airports with my briefcase tucked under my arm and sticking out ahead of me. Those that choose to walk without looking get mowed down >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I heard about an iPhone app that uses the camera to look ahead of where the user is walking [1], and warns them if they are about to collide with something.

[1] or bicycling or skateboarding or driving.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That is the first time I have seen a quoted energy density. They managed to miss this detail out from the earlier press releases.

A nominal 2Ah cell phone battery will be down to 500mAh so to charge it up in a minute will take about 30A peak current - be interesting to see what that does to a micro USB connector.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

That would be interesting in places like the JR station in Shinjuku, or probably even worse in Tokyo station! The foot traffic closely resembles Brownian motion, but I have never seen a collision...

Reply to
Bill Martin

Lower energy-density is to be expected, since the voltage is half.

What I liked was the inherent safety, and construction from cheap, ubiquitous materials. (Lithium, ain't.)

The super-low impedance is really interesting too. All sorts of things could use that. Just replacing ICE car batteries would be a pretty big win.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I liked the picture of graphite foam. There are plenty of uses where weight is less important than cost. Maybe it wins on some figure of merit that includes number of recharges... Joules per lifetime.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Wed, 15 Apr 2015 15:14:01 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Self-discharge: How long will it hold a charge?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:41:39 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yep. If we take all them announcements, we could now power NY City from a battery the size of a sugar cube for a thousand years.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Your article claims just 60 W-Hr/kg, no better than a lead-acid. Surprising that Al cells would weigh as much as lead, but maybe they can improve that.

OTOH, the low impedance seems to stem from the carbon foam cathode. That could benefit other chemistries.

'Yes' on the cycle count, plus the environmental benefits when it's time to recycle the thing.

Googling about for more details on this battery, I saw a number of super-cap developments claiming to hit 60 W-Hr/Kg too.

Lots of breathless 'battery of the minute' stuff, but it does look like there's a lot of activity, a number of advancements, and something might even come of it. Cheap PV storage would be be a game-changer.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

For at least 300 hours!!! (according one the sciencey articles)

Installed in your Chevy Volt, YMMV.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Apr 2015 05:38:41 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

In your camera 12 days is really bad.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That has to be the best line of the month.

:)

Reply to
Tom Miller

Why not? New York is going to be under water in a good deal less than a thousand years, and fish aren't big electricity consumers. If the thousand years was going to start now, the test could be more demanding.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to