ALOT of Coupling Transformers?

"Tim Williams"

** The OP will of course complain that those are specially made ransformers - just like E-Core types used in tube amplifiers are specially designed with many layers of winding sandwiched together to reduce leakage inductance.

OTOH - my comment was about regular, off the shelf AC power transformers. I have tested any number of them and at least in the step down role, bandwidth is around 100kHz.

Another plus is the extremely low magnetising current - right up until saturation begins. Means distortion products will be completely negligible long as the saturation limit is not reached.

The only drawback is sensitivity it DC current in the windings, so tube balance in push-pull output stages is critical.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The

ecially

rmers.

That's nice to know, Thanks Phil. I used two little audio 1:1 center tap transformers from Triad (600 ohm) and some diodes to make a double balanced mixer. When driven from a 50 ohm source it worked above

100kHz. (Which was a nice surprise.) There was a resonance abit above 2 MHz.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Do your really think so, Philly?

--

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!feeder.erje.net!news-1.dfn.de!news.dfn.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail

Reply to
John Doe