airplane connector

This is on an alternator, on a jet engine.

The insulator is very soft, feels like silicone, and the pins are 40 mils diameter.

What is this called? What sorts of words or connector types should I search for? Are there distributors who specialize in things like this?

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Very common in aerospace. No particular name other than circular. Try AMP and Amphenol. They both make these. They can be high dollar or sometimes fairly reasonable. Pins require a rather expensive crimp tool usually.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Those look a lot like the old mil-spec connectors we used to have to use for gov. projects.

The magic phrase to google is 'MIL-DTL-26482'

I know Amphenol makes some.

Hope that helps!

Reply to
DemonicTubes

I meant to say 'MIL-DTL' ... the following numbers may be different.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

I can email a picture to Amphenol and see if they recognize it. Thanks.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

That's a hit:

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

fredag den 15. november 2019 kl. 16.55.00 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

?
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

fredag den 15. november 2019 kl. 17.51.11 UTC+1 skrev Lasse Langwadt Christensen:

this the plug ?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I see the outrageous pricing hasn't changed since the 90s.

Glad you found what you need.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

ebay seems to have Chinese versions for 99 cents or so, free shipping.

There are just so many versions, it might be hard to find the right one.

I assume that some of the Chinese ones are winding up on airplanes.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Unless you ask for the economy shipping which is done via ships.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

I have something similar here, I have a DM5306 and DS07 They come up with a 'TE Connectivity DETUSCH Connectors' in a search

Martin Riddle

I hope not....

Reply to
TTman

Doesn't look right to me- each pin should have a letter identifier.... A, B, C... then a,b,c etc Further, the same pin arrangement can be confounded by numerous different 'lock slot' positions around the periphery.... making part numbers a nightmare.... I'd say it definitely wasn't 'mil spec'.

Reply to
TTman

TTman wrote in news:qqohql$7mm$1@dont- email.me:

airplanes.

No way. Companies that have gov contracts to make avionics gear do NOT buy sub standard parts.

Also, don't want too much gold plating on the pins, so maybe cheap chinese is better there.

There was a time when the big guys were plating too thick and gold embrittlement issues were a problem. Now, A proper assembly has pin cups tinned and then evacuated and tinned again to get rid of excess gold from the pin cup surface as embrittlement is a real problem. A very labor intensive process. But if you did not want your contracts cancelled for shoddy cables that fail in the filed, you made sure each pin was evacuated twice.

Gold Intermetallic Embrittlement is still a real problem anywhere it is not addressed in a situation where vibration and flexure is encountered at or near a connection.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

TTman wrote in news:qqoi5d$aci$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Not really. Numerics are used all the time as well. And it IS numbered. Pin 1 is identified and the trace trail direction around to pin ten and on to the last pin at pin 12.

Quite common, actually. The wires that go into the connector are many times if not all times identified at both ends with tags.

They are not "lock slots". They are key slots, and the connector is termed as 'keyed' and the reason is so that a pile of cables with similar diameter connectors can be attached and be confident that attachment to the target jack only occurs. Not a nightmare, and definitely 100% mil spec for that reason.

The Mids tray alone has several conectors on it, and ALL are 'keyed'. There is one on every jet we fly.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Surely it would be quicker and cheaper to buy selectively plated contacts?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I am certain the US makers plate the pins themselves heavy, and the ends and solder cups lighter now.

The practice and regimen still remains, however, as an assembler does not know what pins are provided. It likely doubles solder-up time when preforming a cable build.

Still, cables of that nature are all hand built and an extra 10% labor is not all that much.

I have seen COAX cables that are $5k each because of their high end RF characteristics. And that is only two conductors! It was (is) a high end satellite cable though for a C-130 hatch installation. Pretty sure that they have them all fitted out by now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That is a problem these days, counterfeit parts creeping into the supply chain, especially fasteners and semiconductors.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

It powers the FADEC on the engine of a pretty well known jet fighter.