ADC's and DAC's for audio

Hey, you did write the questions here and if you apparently didn't know

*that much* about conversion, you cannot understand any more detailed answers anyway. Would be a wastage of time and energy. Google Delta-Sigma ADC and learn for yourself. And when you read that in other answers as well, look at the timestamp please. The asshole seems to be you, go troll in another place.
--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Un bel giorno Abstract Dissonance digitò:

It's the standard because when you are going to do the mixing/mastering, there could be more (sometimes much more) than one source, therefore you need more dynamics. I suppose that they use 24 bit even for the single sources just for a matter of homogeneity, not certainly because they are needed to record a single source properly. Probably even the 44 kHz, 16 bit CD quality is overkill.

Very good, then why don't you just use a 16 bit ADC and add eigth or sixteen padding zeroes at the end? No one will notice, unless he has an oscilloscope. :-)

--
asd
Reply to

Closer to plinking around, actually.

John

You insist on posting questions and conjectures to s.e.d. without bothering to do much research or thinking first, and get nasty when people suggest that you do a little thinking for yourself. Enjoy!

John

Or pseudorandom noise, concatenated onto the three or four bits of noise that's there already.

John

A 64-bit CPU obviously needs a 64-bit ADC.

John

so, again. No one is requiring you to post anything be you seem to do. I get nasty when others act like they are know it alls and try to belittle me. If you don't want to answer then so be it... but don't f****ng try to show your arrogance with me cause I won't sit idly by.

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

First off, knowing all the innards of an ADC has nothing to do with the main goal of my project. I am just trying to get the audio into good digital form. Just because I did not know about the noise floor is such that one cannot get above about 24-bits is no reason for you to be such an asshole.

Second, You have no right to show your conceit with me. If you do then I have every right to show you what an asshole you are. I shouldn't expect much from people like you. I suppose spending all your life in a small room only makes you an irritable asshole.

Again, why you gonna post your shit that many others have said? You offered nothing knew and the only conclusion is that you have to show your ass.

Anyways, don't bother replying again because you are killfiled. If you do then its only cause you want attention.

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

Sure you will. You always do. If you knew what you were talking about, you would be able to carry on a decent conversation rather than whine all the time.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah.. You think because you happen to know something that you are a genius and can try and shove it in everyones face. I know engineers are arrogant. When I went to school they used to think they were the cream of the crop. Most of them didn't know jack about anything. I was a mathematics major and a friend of mine was in EE(which he finished and now is getting his second degree in ME). He was always asking me to help him with his homework. I ended up doing his DSP lab because he couldn't. Now maybe this isn't typical of most engineering students but its close because I had lots of interaction with them in my engineering math and physics classes that I took. The common theme from all of them was there arrogance. So I don't expect much from you guys and you deliver.

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

If you want respect (and Lord knows why you'd come here for it) try doing a little research before you post your revelations. s.e.d. is indeed frequented by engineers who *do* know the math and the physics, and do know a quantitative absurdity when they see one. As has been pointed out, 32-bit ADCs aren't not-sold because nobody has thought of them like you have, they're not-sold because the nature of this universe makes them impossible. Even the best 24-bit ADCs don't deliver an honest 24 bits.

A better place for unfounded conjectures would be s.e.b.

Sit idly by? What can you do, type standing up?

John

Yawn. I never said I was an EE. Isn't it time to change your diaper? You're getting real shitty.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Um. What you fail to realize, which is quite easy, is there is no theoretical reason for 32-bit ADC's not to exist. Just because there is a noise floor with practical applications doesn't say shit about the theoretical reason. What you think is obvious is only because you have practical experience with the reality of electronics. I have very little. What you call research is really your bullshit answer because if you really believed that you wouldn't respond...

BTW, I DIDN'T JUST FUCKING POST ABOUT 32-BIT. I had several questions. Instead you just gotta find one thing to bitch at because you have a sorry life.

Anyways, I'll make it easy on you. Don't bother replying to any more of my posts because I won't see them.

Killfiled.

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

Ok. I'll change my diaper and while I'm at it I'll add you to my killfile.

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

Yes, all the real high end converters are from the Crystal Semi stable, the ones with the CS prefix.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Nah, add "Paul is dead" in Morse code, backwards.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Well, you're the only loser, then.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

Before long he will have kill filed everyone on the newsgroup, then bitch because no one answers his drivel.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There is no theoretical reason why that might not happen.

John

How good is a geo-quality ADC? Who makes them? I assume they need good short-term noise and gain stability, and that DC drift wouldn't matter much.

John