About Harmonics

I am.

Not at all. There is no physical adjustment mechanism to do this on a guitar. One simply sets the bridge so that the harmonic at the 12 fret matches the note at the 12th fret. If you don't do this, it sounds out of tune. Why don't you try this sometime, as it doesn't appear that you have.

The frets certainly can't be moved. Their distances are based on 2^1/12.

Today, I would say the majority of guitar players use an electronic tuner.

You obviously don't play guitar.

Ahmmmm...interesting word "embouchure". Why did you use this term? Why not just say "mouth piece"?

Its certainly true that wind instrumentalists may well use techniques as a method to correct overtone frequencies, so as to make them more closer to harmonics. It is certainly correct that the overtone frequencies of such instruments get progressively more in error at the higher overtone numbers.

Oh dear...

Matching the fundamental is way more important then matching harmonics.

Your certainly entitled to your meanderings.

They most certainly do not, well, not in this universe anyway. Overtones may well beat, as these are not harmonically related.

If the notes are at exact harmonics, then there is no beating. The case for the octave situation is trivially obvious. All harmonic locks on to the basic fundamental such that the wave form is a continuous repeat at the fundamental period. If the basic frequencies are not harmonically related there will be beating, that is, there is a repeating pattern over many cycles of the fundamental.

You actually sound like a troll, as you are so er...fundamentally incorrect in what you say. Maybe you are confusing overtones with harmonics?

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

When I first read that name, I sounded it out, and it came out (in my head) as "YO-se-mite." I had a 5th grade teacher who pronounced it that way, which kind of reinforced that. I never made the connection to "Yo

-SEM-i-tee" as in "Yosemite Sam", until I heard some TeeVee nooz story on the town, or whatever it is. Or something. I was astonished. :-)

Then again, I had grown up in Minnesota, where, it seems they have an accent of their own.

I was talking to a sales rep not too long ago, and while we were making small talk, he asked, "Can I ask you a possibly personal question?" I said, "Sure, if I don't like it I just won't answer it. :-)" He asked, "Are you from Minnesota?" "Yeah, did you spot my accent?" He said yeah, but he was from there too. :-)

Tooele, Utah, too. :-) It's pronounced "too-EL-la", but even the people who live there (well, mostly on the army base nearby), talk about being "in the Toolies". :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I grew up in Vermont about 50 miles south of the town of Barre - pronounced "BA-ree". When city folks would ask for directions to "Bar" we rustics would gleefully direct them to the nearest saloon. Then there was the nearby town of Contoocook New Hampshire, pronounced "con -TOO- cut". go figure.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Well, just exactly as it's written:

;-)

Bei3 (sinking then rising tone) jing (high constant tone).

This is very flat (from an English dictionary) but has the right idea:

Here is the word in a sentence ('Ich bin ein Beijinger') with proper pronunciation:

Literally, "I am Beijing person".

;-) Independent university town bookstore, run by a colorful (possibly gay) pair? What are the chances of that?

Four or five in Mandarin, if you count the neutral tone. More in other dialects. There are too few monosyllable sounds for too many words, so it's necessary to do some disambiguation by other means.

Beijingers seem to like to roll their R's more than others when speaking Mandarin.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

And here I thought you were a believer in basic physics... :-).

It's also done on guitars and other stringed instruments. For all I know, there may be analogous physical phenomena in woodwind, etc, but even if not, the players of those instruments tune using embouchure and their ears, so they will naturally stretch their tunings to match.

There's much more energy in the harmonics of stringed instruments than there is in the fundamentals, so matching them is important.

I don't think the brain really gives a rats about exact octaves. It's the fact that when you play two strings whose fundamentals are at exact octaves, the harmonics beat, and the higher harmonics beat faster. The (faster) beating harmonics can be more annoying than a slow beat in the fundamentals. It's really a matter of taste, and of which harmonic frequency range your ear is more attuned to.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Thanks. The spelling is obviously very good now. If pronounced in english it sounds very close to the local pronounciation.

Within a generation most chinese will speak english, hopefully.

--
 Roger J.
Reply to

I give up. You are plainly ineducable.