A Stripper for XMAS

I've been helping someone at Tech Shop with a sensor project and unfortunately the Tech Shop electronics section is a bit lacking when it comes to tools. A collection of broken soldering stations with hopeless tips, a Harbor Freight multimeter with a dead battery, and not even a working wire stripper. They keep the good stuff locked up and use it only for classes.

So yesterday I stopped at Fry's to buy a wire stripper that would go down to AWG 30. I couldn't find them so I told an employee "I need a stripper." He replied "now that would be a nice Christmas present."

I also bought Velleman soldering station for $14.95 which was DOA. Now I see the price went up. I have to go back today and exchange it.

Reply to
SMS

Frys used to be famous for resealing returns and reselling them. Maybe they still do that.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"In shrink wrap" does not mean "in original shrink wrap".

I guess these days they have to put "refurbished" in small print somewhere.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Den fredag den 20. december 2013 19.47.16 UTC+1 skrev Spehro Pefhany:

I'm sure they have begun to note serials and such on returns of high value items, I have seen quite a few stories of people buying laptops, hard drives etc. and when they come home and open it it is nothing of bricks, books or what not

someone bought it before filled the box with dead weight resealed it and returned it

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On one trip to Fry's, I bought an inkjet printer and a box of floppy disks. When I opened them, the print cartrige was installed and there was ink on everything. The floppies were hand-labeled and had Windows for Workgroups loaded on them. Repackaged, not refurbished.

It was a huge hassle to get them to take the stuff back, not to mention a 70 mile round-trip back to Mountain View or someplace. And they used to practically strip-search you at the door, right after you'd been through the checkout. Amazon doesn't do that.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Shades of Miniscribe! They had many pallets of "hard disks" in their warehouse that were just bricks in sealed boxes. Accounting/stock swindle... long ago.

Reply to
Greegor

In California, exit checks are optional, you don't have to stop. Sheeple stop, but many Fry's customers, including me, never do. The exit checkers are trained to not challenge anyone that chooses not to stop.

Even Costco admits that exit checks are optional but their position is that while you don't have to stop, they don't have to let you be a member anymore either--since you agreed to the exit checks as a condition of membership.

Reply to
sms

Yeah. If they physically stop you, or even touch you, it would be assault.

I solved all my Fry's problems by never going to Fry's again.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Also ask them if they have any dykes.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thank you! Was thinking along the same lines...

Reply to
Robert Baer

In the UK we have the Consume Protection Act and the Sale of Goods Act to protect against such practices. Had some good results just quoting the acts when returning faulty or poor quality goods. Most UK shops don't argue about returns (so long as you have your receipt).

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

Are you silly enough to believe that a law protects you? Few shops here have any issue with returns, either. When they do, it's clearly spelled out in the terms before the sale. This doesn't address the issue, though.

Reply to
krw

They also have the equivalent of Obamacare after it becomes "single payer" :-( ...Jim Thompson