Re: So rare a pinheader?

So I'm looking for a pinheader that matches with the connector on the

>pictures. There are zillions of look-alikes but by far the most of them have >a 2.54mm pitch. This one has a 2mm pitch. Looked at Farnell and several >other distributers as well, but no joy. No trace of a typenumber or >manufacturer id on the connector. Anyone recognizes this virtual rare thing? >It is said to be used in some Yamaha product but so far I'm not sure about >that.

It's a JST PH-series (or clone thereof). Pretty widely carried (once you know which one to look for; there ARE a lot of connectors out there!)

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

"Rich Webb" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

thx

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

The crimp connectors are a PITA! I've had to do some specials in the past and blanched at the cost of purchased tooling. Sometimes you get lucky and can solder the wires to connectors. Tin the wire, put a dash of solder paste in the connector and reflow.

Anybody know if generic tooling is available?

Reply to
Oppie

--- I very firmly disagree.

When I started out in this business as a cable tech, building cables using MIL-C-5015 connectors (Cannon Plugs) with solder cup pins and sockets, I had to know how to strip and tin wires, how to load the cups by excluding air and using just enough solder to keep them from boiling or running over during soldering, and how to solder the wire into the cup while holding on to the wire, without moving it, so that when the joint cooled it was nice and shiny regardless of whether my fingers got burned or not.

Nowadays, all that's required is that the wire be stripped using a calibrated stripper, then inserted into a contact, and the contact squeezed properly until a gas-tight seal is made.

Not a PITA at all, as far as I can tell, but just an easy procedure guaranteed to make any cretin able to make world-class joints.

---

--- Surely a recipe for disaster since, if a terminal is designed to be crimped around a wire, soldering is, if not anathema, a poor second choice.

Tell me what airlines you've worked for and I'll avoid them.

---

--- Sure, they're called "pliers"

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

The Aven Tools 10140 (Digikey AV4999-ND but most of the other usual places) works pretty well for a non-ratchet crimper on these small guys. Not for quantity production runs but it does a sweet job for prototyping.

I'd love to find a set of dies that fit, say, the inexpensive Eclipse ratchet frame but until then, this'll do...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to