A few questions about those WALKIE-TALKIE like radios....?

I see ads all the time for those little WALKIE-TALKIE like two-way radios that claim to have a range of anywhere from 3 to as much as 15 miles on some of the units. Now.. I know there ranges are not realistic because of numerous factors including terrain, weather etc... etc...

The range isn't what concerns me. What does is that I see these are usually sold in 2 PACKS. Well.. What if you have a family of 4 or 5 that want to stay connected? Can you buy extra ones and easily connect to all the others? Also... These walkie talkies are made by many different manufacturers. If I but a Motorola 2 pack and let's say, I buy another TWO pack from another manufacturer. Will I be able to "CONNECT" to the other users by programming the unit?

So... In closing. What is the best way of connecting a family of 4 or

5 when they usually come in 2 packs and can you connect one brand with another?

Thanks

LEESA (I)

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

These all use the same service (FRS). You can mix and match between manufacturers. Some special features, like "distinctive ring" type paging, might not work exactly the same between units, but the basic push-button-and-talk stuff will work fine.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

If they are on either CB (the Citizens' Band) or the Family Radio Service (FRS), then yes. Just get them all on the same channel. Check the particulars of each individual make and model to see what channels they have. (FRS channels are separate from CB channels.)

Bear in mind also that the range is often MUCH, MUCH LESS than the advertised maximum. These aren't cell phones. They don't work through a central repeater or tower. They have to be able to communicate directly with each other, even when both are down in valleys or inside buildings, and that's much harder. The reason cell phones work so well is that one end of the communication link is always high up on a tower with nothing blocking it.

Reply to
mc

I have gotten near 10 miles on FRS. The record is about 160 miles. Between mountains reception is good. Any land or obstruction greatly reduces transmission. Bubble pack radios are frowned upon, especially GMRS/FRS types. GMRS requires a license, about $75. Channels 1-7 share FRS/GMRS, 8-14 FRS only, upper channels are GMRS only. GMRS is NOT for business. FRS was made for family use only, which includes family business.

For more information see Personal WirelessForum........................

greg

Reply to
GregS

Based on ham radio experience, I would assume you could get 2000 miles if one of the transmitters were in a spacecraft, talking to the earth's surface in a straight line.

Getting through buildings and trees and around the curvature of the earth is the hard part!

Reply to
mc