8086 uP Require

Hi

Could anyone help us find an old very early 8086 uP for our University's SEM? It is a very old unit be our Scanning Electron uScope will not operate untill we find one. I think the speed is either 1 or 4MHz. It is imprtant we get one of the earliest version.

Thanks

WayneL

Reply to
WayneL

I would have thought all 8086 uP would work the same?

What package do you need it in? DIP40? PLCC44?

Would you make do with an 8086 that has been unplugged or unsoldered from an old board?

Reply to
Kryten

Crikey ! I suppose I must have one somewhere from when I upgraded my Amstrad PC1512's 8086 for an NEC V30 !

Why do you ( think you ) need an *early version* btw ?

How do you know it's the CPU that's broken ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

PLCC? ROFLOLMAO.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I have some NMOS 80188 chips, in ceramic PGA and an odd flat ceramic package. I have an 80C188 in PLCC too. I can't recall if the 8088 came in anything other than DIP40.

Reply to
Kryten

I just checked an old Intel databook.

8086 was available in DIP40 only.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Phillips used 8086 in their ~ 1978-85 TEM, I forget what the model number is ! I don't recall what they used in their 1980s SEM. I have forgotten what was so special about the 8086/ Z80/ 8080/ 8085/ 8088. Gee that was 25 years ago.

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

IIRC, the 8086/8088 were among the first microprocessors to utilize segmentation to reach a 1MB address space using what was actually a

16-bit CPU. Shift a 16-bit segment register left 4 bits, add 16-bit offset, 1MB addressibility results. Every programmer in any language on this CPU approached memory management with care. They knew that there was actually a maximum of 640KBs available, because the remaining 360K on PC-compatibles was reserved for things like video frame buffers and boot ROM. I think the difference between 8086 and 8088 was that 8086 had a true external 16-bit data bus, whereas 8088 had only 8 bit bus with double-cycling. The initial, "standard" speed of 8088/6 was 4.77 MHz.

A lot has changed since then. Today, if you fire up Limewire on Windows, you can see it (and the Java diaper that comes with it) unapologetically consuming 60 megabytes of of RAM. The ubiquitous Adobe Acrobat eats up 52 MB.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

No, only 15MB in my machine right now. Mozilla is the big hog.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hi

Yes. An 8086 unplugged would be fine. The company that servies the SEM said the uP is "stuffed" and they are stuggling to get hold of one.

How can we get hold of it/them?

We are based in the UK.

Cheers

WayneL

Reply to
WayneL

That should not be too hard, try for example Strixner & Holzinger

They claim to have five different Intel versions of the 8086 on stock in small quantities plus several second source 8086's. So far I always got what their site showed within 14 days or faster at reasonable prices - not cheap, but reasonable.

HTH Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

I'd *love* to know how a uP gets *stuffed* by sitting in its socket !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The 8086 was the 16 bit data buss version of the 8088 used in the IBM PC & XT computers. IBM used the 8088 because it only had an 8 bit data buss.

The 8086 turns up on E-bay, and some electronic surplus places list them from time to time. I might have one, but I would have to dig through about 100 boxes of early computer boards to find one.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The way I heard the story, IBM used the 8088 because they had an 8088 ICE blue box.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

I have two Fujitsu 8086-2 (date code 8728) and one 8088-2 (date code 8719).

So where would you like me to post one 8086?

And what's it worth? :->

If anyone is interested in homebrew Z80 systems I have about ten each of Z80 CPU, CTC, SIO-0 and eighty 4164 chips.

Reply to
Kryten

I got no results searching for 8086 on their English language pages. It only works on their German language pages.

They seem to be going for about 10 to 15 euros, say 6 to 10 UKP.

Wayne, try Google

First result was
also

Kryten

Hi

If you could send one to the university, give me you email (or send me an email but remove the word -nospam from this snipped-for-privacy@wlawson-nospam.co.uk) and I will contact you with the postal address? We can give you a token amount which includes the postage, please let me know in the email. I can pay by paypal. Are you in the UK?

Reply to
WayneL

I knew if i kept that original '84 IBM PC it might be useful to someone or worth something again one day now if i could get the original price for i would be very happy ;)

good luck fnding one if you exhaust your other sources then post back here if my cpu will help you

Reply to
Rob B

I saw a lot of the same 8 bit cards used in some of their dedicated word processing systems. The same video board, floppy controller, printer port, monitor and even the original five slot "PC" case. The "XT" was the same design, except they moved the slots closer together to add the three additional slots. Do you remember the little metal plate with a single screw covering a rectangular hole on the back of the PC case? It was used in the word processing system. BTW, the word processor used the 8085 & support chipset.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Amstrad

Amstrad that was the cheaper knock off (competition) for IBM PC ? NEC v30 now that takes me back ( i shutter)

i still have original IBM PC sitting in storage i used it for end table support in office but now i have a DIGITAL DEC 3000 and an HP apollo

9000/735 end table
Reply to
Rob B