6V battery substitute

A friend inherited a small dirt bike. It has a quite deceased

6V battery.

It's got a coil and points, not a magneto. So it needs a battery, or substitute, to run. (He's happy to kickstart.)

It gets stored for long periods.

He asked if a super capacitor might work. He can charge it before starting. I'm debating in my head if it has a low enough impedance to keep things stable.

Opinions?

David Lesher

I ran my old Citroen 2CV sans battery for a long time. It had a 6V system and a crank. I used a stack of three and sometimes four D-cells for starting, afterwards it continued on its generator. Worked fine for years. That stack of D-cells lasted more than a year.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm using a supercapacitor in a design for a power fail alarm. The issue i s the same as yours, add batteries and it becomes a maintenance issue. A s upercap will last like other electronics without attention.

But you may need a regulation circuit to limit the current. I don't think the problem you will have is too high impedance, but too low. A battery ch anges voltage significantly as you charge or discharge it. The supercap wi ll have a very low impedance in comparison and will load down the generator if the voltage is not matched.

This one simulates fine. The Rs value would need to be changed and the dio de is likely not required. The FET is good for up to 9 amps I think and sh ould be ok for 6 volts. You may want to add some overvoltage protection th ough. A hefty diode in the reverse direction to allow starting or maybe it isn't needed if the starter and alternator don't need to be connected dire ctly.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

is the same as yours, add batteries and it becomes a maintenance issue. A supercap will last like other electronics without attention.

k the problem you will have is too high impedance, but too low. A battery changes voltage significantly as you charge or discharge it. The supercap will have a very low impedance in comparison and will load down the generat or if the voltage is not matched.

iode is likely not required. The FET is good for up to 9 amps I think and should be ok for 6 volts. You may want to add some overvoltage protection though. A hefty diode in the reverse direction to allow starting or maybe it isn't needed if the starter and alternator don't need to be connected di rectly.

Forgot the link...

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C