Puzzle (of the automotive and electronic type)

I have an old Toyota FJ40 (1979) with 'transistorized' ignition. A reluctance pickup wheel in the distributor and solid state module to switch the coil in place of the old points.

Its starting to get a bit flakey. From time to time (and more frequently now) the ignition just cuts out. Just like turning the key off. But it still has +12V to the coil. After starting the replace parts until its fixed method, I'm down to the solid state module now.

But, and here's the puzzle, one of my diagnostics for spark/no spark has been to throw an old timing light on to the coil output. Oddly enough, that fixes the problem within a few seconds. The engine fires up and runs fine for a few days. Otherwise, its crank, wiggle wires, poke around with a voltmeter to no effect.

At first, I figured that too large spark plug gaps were causing the coil secondary (and primary) currents to decay too slowly and that this was screwing up the module's operation (bad flyback diode perhaps?). The addition of the timing light was like putting a gas discharge surge arrester in the circuit, clamping the primary voltage quickly. But this failure continues after having changed plugs, cables, cap, and rotor. New coil too. So everything should be within spec. And when it runs, it runs beautifully.

I'm pretty sure its the solid state module that's got to go*. It's the only old part left. But I'd like to understand the cause behind the failure while I fix it. And this is an interesting puzzle. BTW, the module is potted, so I'm can only guess about its innards.

Any thoughts?

*A replacement is $350. I'm pondering building a DIY unit from scratch. With a few test points brought out as well. I've found a few DIY projects on line (including one with the obligatory uC).
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

If it's the old grounded collector kind with a high voltage PNP Ge-transistor in there it could be that the capacitor in the module has come loose. It's usually the same kind that used to sit across the points before they went to transistor ignition. If that's the case you could try hanging such a cap from coil minus to ground, in parallel.

Also, check the points. See whether there is dirt or gunk in there. AFAIR with old transistor ignitions the voltage flies up with the coil minus voltage.

It could be done sans uC although that doesn't have the right coolness factor these days. And don't forget that big blue flashing LED :-)

The FJ40 is a nice 4WD. A friend has modified his and put a Chevy engine in it, he now calls it a "Chevy-ota".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Whitney used to sell after market electronic ignition kits. Not the Bumble-Bee stuff. These had a Hall-effect sensor that went into the distributor and an external unit that drove the coil. I haven't seen a Whitney catalog for years: they are still in business:

root

Bad ground? Distributor to block, block to battery.

Martin Riddle

...you did not READ what he said..there are NO points - mis-translate to magnetic pickup at worst..

Reply to
Robert Baer

(...)

Plus ignition module to distributor and all those nifty connectors.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

ch

at

Are the plugs gapped right? You might just want to clamp a neon lamp across the coil, to simulate the timing light.

ly

ith

No junkyard parts available? That would be my first choice.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

[...]

That's a pretty old vehicle, but have you tried the local junkyard?

Reply to
JW

Considering where Toyota got the original six cylinder engine from...

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

Are the plugs gapped right? You might just want to clamp a neon lamp across the coil, to simulate the timing light.

No junkyard parts available? That would be my first choice.

Bosch made a range of "universal" ignition modules. I'm sure hunting around you would find one for much less than $350. They were black about 75mm x

25mm 8mm thick with 5 or 6 terminals along the front edge.

They looked like these:

Dennis

ch

at

Sounds like an intermittent connection, doesn't it?

ly

I fixed a friend's Isuzu a ways back. The dealer wanted to sell him a new ignition "computer" for more than a poor dental student could afford. I traced it out and tested it--it wasn't much more than a big darlington, firing off an inductive pickup.

The Darlington was fine, the problem was the pickup gap. Tweaked that, and t'was better than new.

Good luck!

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat
[snip]

The basics of a very good method, which uses a standard ignition coil...

The control system is around somewhere... on paper... pre-CAD ;-) It measured the current in the emitter and the base and calculated IC (HV transistor beta was ~4 at 5A :-)

This was circa 1972. Modern circuits elements will make it easier now than then.

Shown previously while arguing with El Dorko... the 5mH, 5 AMP, yes AMPERES, inductor for my CDI ignition...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Thought of that. But pulling the coil lead off, wiggling it around and plugging it back in (same physical manipulation as connecting the timing light) has no curative effect. I've been through the rest of the circuit with continuity tester, wiggling connections. And tugging on them with the engine running. No effect. Unless its inside the potted module, of course. But then, explain the timing light.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Thanks. I'll add this to my collection of notes as I ponder a DIY solution.

When I get my module built and running, I'll try to un-pot the OEM module and see if I can find the fault. The puzzle is more interesting that fixing this.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

No points. It uses a reluctance pickup. That's probably why its been running for 33 years without maintenance.

The cap idea is good. If the one inside the module is going bad, this should be an easy test. But keep in mind that this fault is intermittent. I can drive for a few days and it runs perfectly.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yes, sort of. FJ40 parts (non wear) are difficult to come by. But there's a chance that there's a cross reference* Nipondenso part for some other model.

*I found a Volkswagen parts dealer that had all the Porsche part numbers (Bosch parts) crossed to VW parts. For 1/3 the price. I'm not to proud to be driving a 928 with VW relays. ;-)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I've pulled all the ignition parts, cleaned and re-tightened the connections in the process of replacing most of them. battery cables are (relatively) new. But there may be a block ground I've overlooked. Distributor would be a non-issue, as this doesn't use points (the mag pickup is floating and shielded).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yes, but those caps are large and potting isn't perfect. You could have fatigue cracking in the solder joints.

I've had that in my Citroen (classic ignition with points). Drove on an autobahn ... pop ... POOF ... **BAM* ... pop ... what the hell ...? Stopped, took spark plugs out, were ok, took big fan off the crankshaft, looked at the points and the cap, looked ok. Dang. Figured I'd limp home, somehow. Put it all back in, one (!) throw with the crank ... VROOOM ... huh? Drove home without it missing a single cycle. On Sunday I wanted to get back to my university town. Crank, crank, crank ... ... crank .. *KABLAM* .. phutah ... pop. Didn't start, no matter what I did. Took the cap out. Turns out one crimp connection in the cap leads was loose and you could twirl the cap around in it. Soldered it, no problem with the ignition ever again.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm considering aftermarket. I'd like to not have to throw out or mod the distributor pickup (it seems to work OK).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Meh. This is the kind of inductor us power guys like playing with:

Of course, I've never actually wound one myself. ;-)