6P1 "NuTube"

Dual is good, but no indirect cathode means you can't USE them like dual matched, except with common-cathode circuits. High voltage is good, but it's not high ENOUGH.

A real dual triode, 6BC8, has transconductance 6200 micromhos, this has 54. The grid capacitances are terribly high, and no plate current to speak of.

The only use for this particular item is to show the concepts of vacuum tubes, not how they can be useful. So, it's more a physics demo widget than a real building block.

Reply to
whit3rd

You could probably get the most power out by using both sections in push-pull class B. Connect the filaments together and run one leg of a center-tapped output transformer from each with B+ on the center tap.

That way you have maximum output current with minimum plate voltage and vice versa. Each side only "sees" the signal half the time which reduces the average dissipation as well

Reply to
bitrex

kind of. You added another amplification stage in silicon - the seller couldn't claim that to be a vacuum state output. I guess they could describe their product as vacuous though.

If the thing could put out enough to drive a headphone it wouldn't need any transistors at all to run off a pc or similar input.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If the current can't change I guess zero.

both at once.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm not seeing any need for the supply to be floating. In fact it can't be with a direct heated filament valve.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Next time I'll be sure to draw a little box with "As Yet Unspecified DC Bias System" in all such cathode leads.

Reply to
bitrex

that's usable though.

that's ok if it feeds something with high Rin, eg an opamp

no problem at audio, which is the only vaguely sane thing to do with it. 4pF at 20kHz is 2Mohm.

More aimed at the new product pseudo valve sound crew I think. Physics demos could use any old triode at a tenth the price.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You could do that, but why would anyone? They're hopeless as output devices, even in class D.

I don't see why they've limited the anode Pdiss so severely. Normal VFD construction should see permissible Pdiss orders of magnitude greater than 1.7mW.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ahh, do you work in marketing? :-)

Reply to
Bill Martin

On a sunny day (Fri, 26 May 2017 13:34:56 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

We discussed radioactive isotope tube heaters long time ago.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

s like:

I think marketing came up with the idea of using tubes, engineering came up with a fix ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

They're both working to relieve the service department from tech-savvy musicians noticing the 12AX7 (some varieties of which don't have any noticeable glow) in their product is "broken"

Reply to
bitrex

Depending on how it is packaged, it might make good electrometer tube.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

:) Don't you love newsgroups

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My God, it's full of nitpicking engineers!

Reply to
bitrex

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The grid current spec is high. That grid is practically a waffle iron; I'd guess that a good fraction of the emitted electrons hit that huge flat grid structure.

lunatic fringe electronics