5V regulator for batteries cheap efficient?

I know I can't have everything, but I'm going to ask for it anyway.

The circuit is 8 or so opamps, comparators, and logic circuits driven by +/-5 V. It will run on batteries. Is there a comparatively cheap (double the price? maybe triple) but more efficient regulator than the

7805/7905 for this application? i don't want the batteries throwing all their energy into heatsinks and running out in 5 minutes. if switching, it's got to have decent noisefreeness. noise above the audio band is fine.

Any suggestions? the lm2940 looks promising, but you folks probably know better...

Reply to
u035m4i02

I'd estimate about 65 mA total.

Reply to
u035m4i02

How much does your product draw..? If more than a few tens of mA then only a switcher will give you significantly better efficiency. If a few mA, then look at the Holtek HT7150 - quiescent a couple of microamps, and takes input up to 24V. About US$0.30 from memory. Also look at OnSemi 78LC/FC series - similar efficiency but lower input range

Reply to
Mike Harrison

switcher will give you

- quiescent a couple

Replaced by HT7150-1

3 microamp typical quiescent. 6 max.

Ricoh has/had some LDO regulators with quiescent current around 1 microamp eg Rx5RL - see

richard mullens

If the input voltage is over 10V and the current is low enough, a switched capacitor converter may the way to go.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

65 mA is enough to make a switcher worth the work. If you don't need too tight of regulation, you can use one chip to make both voltages. This may save you a bit of power. Something like this:

--!!---------------+--->!---+----- +5V ! ! ! ! [L] --- ! ! --- ! ! ! (+)-----[L]----+---+--!!-----+-->!--+--+--------+------ GND ! ! ! Floating / switcher ! --- Battery ! chip [L] --- ! ! ! (-)------------+-------------+------+------------------ -5V

You may even be able to find the inductors almost all as one part. IIRC. J.W. Miller has a multiwinding inductor.

The input side inductor could be part of that plus a small independant choke in series.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Wouldn't the added efficiency depend on what his input voltage is? If only

6 volts (4AA) a switcher would offer little, no?
Reply to
Brian

Actually, this is the best idea yet. There is nothing in the circuit that needs exactly 5 V, except a comparator that I want to replace anyway. So this will save parts and be the most efficient.

Or will it? Will running it off higher battery voltage actually be less efficient or will the batteries last longer this way?

Reply to
u035m4i02

your devices. But you will have saved the power used by the regulator.

But will the battery last longer? I guess since the chips are optimal at +/-10 V I should just like it the way it is.

loss. If it is plus and minus 30V a switcher is a good answer. Somewhere between the two, the efficiency of the two methods are equal.

or a switcher of some type.

Input is likely two 9V or so.

Reply to
u035m4i02

Run it off a higher voltage, and a greater current will be drawn by your devices. But you will have saved the power used by the regulator.

Reply to
richard mullens

In article , Brian wrote: [... switcher circuit ..]

Yes: If his input is already plus and minus 5V a switcher must be a net loss. If it is plus and minus 30V a switcher is a good answer. Somewhere between the two, the efficiency of the two methods are equal.

an No:

He needs plus and minus 5V this means two batteries, a false ground, or a switcher of some type.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Then I would lose the regulator and run straight from the batteries.

In a battery circuit ground usually is false, no?

Reply to
Brian
[.. +/- 9V batteries ..]

At low currents, straight off the battery makes sense. At higher current, a switcher would greatly increase the battery life.

Yes effectively

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I assume yoy mean boosting the voltage.

Reply to
Brian

[...]

No, with a 9V battery making 5V with a bucker will extend the battery life quite a bit when the current requirments are enough that the overhead to run the chip is not important in the total system power.

Unfortunately, there are no large P-MODFETs that can be certain to be biased to a low on resistance by 5V. Parts like Supertex's TP0604 would be a good choice for the pass element of a bucker at modest currents.

You can also "abuse" a booster swither chip to make a minus side bucker. Since the OP is making +/-5V from a pair of 9V batteries, you could do this twice and wire the resulting 5V circuits in series. The 9V batteries would not have any common connection.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Would the added efficiency come from the devices drawing less current at 5V than they do at 9V?

Reply to
Brian

[...]

No, is because:

P= I * V

P9 = 0.1A * 9V = 0.9W

P5 = 0.1A * 5V = 0.5W

0.5/0.9 = 0.5555

So if the switcher is more than 56% efficient, the switcher starts saving you power. If the switcher is 90% the product should run 62% longer with the switcher.