50-ohm power resistors

Liquid cooling can be great and it does not need to be expensive. If you get one of the liquid cooling heat sinks for CPUs and use an inexpensive heater core you can get rid of a lot of heat quickly. One guy cooled his PC by running the liquid out to a barrel in his garage and didn't have to use a radiator at all. The tubing and barrel was enough to cool 100 watt CPU.

Connect Peltier devices to generate power to drive a fan, lol!

--

Rick C
Reply to

I learned a lot about liquid cooling of liquids when I started brewing again. At the end of boiling the wort you have to get several gallons of it from 210F to under 90F as fast as possible. Do it too slowly and infection can creep in, ruining the beer. If you don't get it cool enough but start fermentation anyhow the yeast dies. I found the swimming pool to be an excellent location to do the heat exchange.

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Two-terminal dummy-load termination resistors exist. I have some here, from Alcatel GSM gear, but I can't find the manufacturer's details. They're 250W types, labeled "RM9-R 250-50".

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I loved this idea, until I realised that the extra thermal impedance might be a problem. But a dummy load that cools itself only when needed and without a separate power source, brilliant!

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I was totally kidding, but if designed properly it could be practical. The fan uses just a fraction of the power being dissipated so the Peltier devices can interfere with just a fraction of the power being dissipated. Or, if it didn't need to be a purely resistive load, the full load could be the DC motor driving the fan, lol.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Why does it need the conical or hyperbolic taper? What is that accomplishing? Is this so the impedance increases toward the open end of the line or so that it decreases and the line is shorted?

If a large enough piece of wire is used, it wouldn't need to get so hot. A 1200 watt space heater uses some couple of yards of resistance wire. Make it a number of yards and it won't get so hot. I guess that gets unwieldy. Or if dunked in oil it could remain shorter.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Win didn't get the Ph.D. - he bailed out into electronics early. If only I' d had that much sense. You do have to have a respectable mathematical educa tion to even start a Ph.D. in Chemical Physics, but if you have the sort of brain that can do mathematics while you are asleep you are much more likel y to have gone into a mathematics program - I do know a few real mathematic ians and my impression is that their brains are a bit unusual.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Dunk the resistors in a water or oil bath; stir until the soup is done.

Reply to
Robert Baer

There are SOT-227 (ISOTOP) power resistors. Think that'd be good enough?

The inductance and capacitance of a half dozen of those '9100s in series or parallel (as need be) should be pretty reasonable yet.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

We're involved in a mind-boggling PLL design now (not the TI synthesizer, which is bad enough) with numerical nasties all over the place. I do NOT need another puzzle to think about.

When I was young, I'd delight in chess and puzzles and such. Now I ration out thinking to when it's really necessary.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't know. I'm not a transmission line guy. I just know that the article was written by some pretty sharp guys and backed up with measured SWR vs. frequency measurements.

One can argue with how sharp the "sharp guys" are, but it's hard to argue with measurements...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

just build a chimney.

Jasen Betts

If you ground the end of the resistive element, the load resistance changes depending how far down the line you go. That requires a continuous change of geometry to avoid a distributed reflection.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And ration pretty stringently at that. When custom-wound transformers end up in the too-hard basket, you have to think that the amount of thinking available is insufficient.

John needs to go out and hire a few more people to do his thinking for him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Great, thanks.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Chimneys suck for cooling a heat sink. I tried detecting an air current in a "chimney" above a 100 watt light bulb and it was virtually undetectable. The chimney was a three foot section of 4 inch dryer vent.

--

Rick C
Reply to

What did you use to detect the air current? I tried such an experiment long ago using a strip of toilet paper attached to one side of the chimney. Had some very visible movement of the T.P.

Reply to
John S

Grow up.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well. _I_ am grown up enough that I _have_ hired some smart people to help me think and design. It's fun to think with other smart people. It's also fun, at my age, to prod them into doing all the work.

One of my guys got interested in the rational-fraction problem and coded up a c routine that finds the best N and D such that N/D = F where F is a real number from 0 to 1 and N and D are 22 bit integers. It's iterative, but runs acceptable fast on an 800 MHz ARM core.

One of my guys has got good with Sonnet, so she could attack the tapered resistor thing if needed. I suspect a lumped Spice model would work too. You can buy huge kilowatt multi-GHz dummy loads, so that must be doing some sort of tricky distributed stuff inside.

Designing electronics isn't about demonstrating how academically smart you are. It's about building and selling stuff that works.

lunatic fringe electronics

e:

end up in the too-hard basket, you have to think that the amount of thinkin g available is insufficient.

him.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen