5 GHz ferrite beads!

I like to use SiGe microwave transistors for all sorts of off-label things, as some SED veterans may remember.

The Infineon BFP640 and BFP650 parts aren't the absolute fastest any more--they top out around 40 GHz f_T, whereas the BFP8xx series get up to over 80 GHz.

However, they have other amazing properties that make up for their slowness. ;) These include flatband noise voltages of 0.5 nV in 1 Hz; betas around 250, which is amazing for an RF device; a low 1/f corner; and, best of all, an Early voltage so large that it's hard to measure.

(It's 250V or so, AFAICT--you have to measure quickly or the self-heating of the device makes the curves go the wrong way!) That lets you run high gain in a single stage, without worrying much about linearity. They're also _amazing_ cascode devices.

However, they do have a tendency to oscillate if you look at them crosswise, e.g. give them more than a few mA of collector current.

That's fine for lots of things, but lately I've been wanting to make biased-cascode SPAD(*) front ends for time-of-flight applications.

SPADs have a fair amount of capacitance for their speed, so you have to terminate them in a low impedance, ideally only a couple of ohms.

Packaged parts have inconveniently high inductance for that, but we should be able to get emitter impedances below 10 ohms up to 3 GHz or so. Besides sub-nanohenry inductances, that requires fairly high collector currents, like 10 mA or thereabouts, putting their f_Ts above

20 GHz. (The resistive part of the emitter impedance is the usual r_E ~ 25 mOhm/I_C.)

Naturally they want to oscillate like crazy, so they need base stoppers(**). For really fast transistors, I like to use the Murata BLM15BA005 and BLM15BA010, which are 0402 beads with impedances of 5 and

10 ohms at 100 MHz, respectively.

Those ones have a nice low-Q impedance peak at around 3 GHz, which works pretty well with ordinary fast things. However, they're a bit wimpy for these SiGe BJTs, which I've seen oscillate at 12 GHz.

Soooooo, imagine my delight when I found that there are ferrite beads specified by their impedance, not at 100 MHz, but at _5 GHz._ I'm sure they're old hat to cell phone designers, but I don't pal around with any of them, so they're new to me.

For instance, the Murata BLF03VK221SNGD has 220 ohms impedance (mostly resistive) at 5 GHz, and is still over 100 ohms at 10 GHz. It's 0201 size, of course, but LCSC has them, so I can get JLCPCB to solder them down for me.

Fun.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Single-photon avalanche diode

(**) Something resistive-looking that you put in series with the base of a transistor to keep it from oscillating. Extra points if the resistance is mostly up at frequencies you don't need for your measurement. (That's where ferrite beads come in.)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I assume that the real part of the impedance vs frequency curve of the bead keeps low frequency Johnson and Ib noise down but kills the multi-GHz oscillations. Is that the idea?

Am 15.06.23 um 03:26 schrieb John Larkin:

Yes, exactly.

At LF, there is no real part of the impedance worth speaking of and thus no thermal noise. It can be seen in LTspice simulation; I have done it for a Würth ferrite bead from the LTspice library, cannot find it now.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Fast transistors tend to oscillate in real life but not in Spice. Wire bonds maybe?

Yes. The BLF03VK221SNGD looks like a Q=1 LR up to about 1 GHz, then becomes resistive up to its peak Z at 6GHz, where the capacitance starts to take over.

Reply to
Phil Hobbs