$25 Computer runs Linux

(...)

Based on ...?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Why didn't the Rasberrypi.org site show the backside of the board ?

Why didn't they state which vendors processor they are using ?

Why didn't they show a complete block diagram of the board, with part numbers ?

Why have a camera on the first pass of the board and not a case ?

The $25 price tab is just too hard to believe.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

(...)

It wasn't a hobby article. I saw it as a conventional press release. Raspberrypi hopes to uncover investors. That's the main purpose of the release. "The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity" (1129409)

Doesn't matter for the purposes of the press release, yes? There is enough 'sizzle' in the phrase "700MHz ARM11"

See above. Raspberrypi is looking for investors, not hobbyists.

The camera module is only there to show how the board might be used. The example is provided as a means to stimulate the imagination of potential investors. Sales tool.

Who knows? A non-profit producing electronics at-cost might be able to do that in large production runs. Their BOM does not look to be enormous. :)

David Brabin is the guy behind the computer:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Probably a JTAG for the BIOS chip.

What is? The whole board? The pins? You could be a bit more vague... just not today.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

(...)

Aw, come on now. :)

I remember when a computer executed my first 'Hello World' equivalent BASIC program, I was boggled and thrilled at the same time. Fun? You betcha!

They *are* related to computers, yes? I like assembly more than higher level languages.

Way more fun. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

As you point out elsewhere, a network connection. Perhaps the best connection to allocate as disposable and therefore off the main board.

I've asked for a 'paper' spec, using the inquiries link provided. I'm guessing there might be power issues - something that I might contribute to.

A USB camera might make more sense. If camera pixel definition was sufficient, I'd simulate the display through USB too, if legible displays or interfaces existed.

This thing won't be for watching movies - consumer devices do that at ~ the cost of the screen size and media reader alone, already. You don't need HDMI for you-tube, skype or scrapbook exercises, if the respective small-screen GUIs for cell phones or 'pad' devicees could be applied.

I've been wondering. What sort of 'fun' ever was in computing, that this guy's trying to revive? Just asking. I've always tackled things from the fuzzy analog end of the stick. Even PICs are more fun.

RL

Reply to
legg

I can remember turning mirror/modified cursive script signatures into butterflys in kindergarden. It was tough work, but somebody had to do it.

RL

Reply to
legg

(...)

I read that three times and I still don't understand your point.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Take a cursive signature, mirror it, then examine the result "Rorschach" style.

But as to a point... yeah... missing.

Reply to
WhySoSerious?

Fun, work, language skills, learning and perspective. Ir's all in there, somewhere.

RL

Reply to
legg

With 128M ram and issues with degradation if you use a flash device as swap, I'd be picking something inhrently lighter than ubuntu. There are several to choose from.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

yer and idiot, George Orwell.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

No, I know chronology, dumbfuck.

Orwell's 1984 was written in 1948

Dick Tracy has been around since 1931.

You lose, hamilton... again.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Hi Jason,

Do you think if I said, "HAL 2000", The Great Attractor would get it now ??

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Perhaps you mean "HAL 9000"?

He wouldn't get a bump if you hit him in the head with a two-by-four.

Reply to
krw

Opps, sorry, yes HAL 9000.

Reply to
hamilton

You don't get it yet.

You are obviously clueless as to what a "Dick Tracy Wristwatch" is.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

No. He's like Jorge, who buys the discontinued model to save a few bucks. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, you're sorry alright, idiot. And yer little krw retarded dog too.

The term is oops, dumbfuck. You cannot even get that right.

Reply to
The Great Attractor