24V-300V, 1000W DC-DC Push-pull simulation with precharge 90% efficient

For a tiny helper supply, no objections. But what Paul is doing is a very serious switcher something that most definitely is not a home run for a micro controller.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But it works, sorta, and shows how smart they are (the real reason).

Reply to
krw

:-)

Nah, I believe most engineers do that so they have the utmost flexibility. Which I do understand, it's just that in nearly all switcher cases that's really not a good strategy.

My main gripe is slow loops. Then you end up with bigger inductors and bigger caps. This leads to blowing size constraints and it also increases the BOM cost substantially. The worst case is when the slowpoke-uC solution becomes the reason to "need" electrolytics because then the MTBF takes a nosedive.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Because they're code scribblers, not engineers.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

But Paul comes across like a real engineer. One that does not even shy away from using a big angle grinder and a welder.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

So he does. I'd have thought he wasn't the PIC type. More of a discrete component guy.

;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

discrete

I've always tried to find the best tools for the job, and I prefer = having=20 the flexibility of programmable components, such as PICs. My unique = niche=20 involves instrumentation that may need to handle low level signals, and=20 connectivity to PCs and the software for that, but also high power = devices=20 running off 480V 200A mains and producing currents up to 100,000 amps. = And I=20 also get to design mechanical components such as heavy steel cabinets on =

800lb castors, machined copper and phenolic pieces, motor drives, and=20 panels. More recently, mostly as a hobby, I have been investigating EVs, =

including personal railways, hybrid car kits, electric tractors, and=20 full-size electric cars, trucks, and RVs.

I tend to think "outside the box" and investigate various ways to = achieve=20 the same end result. I prefer "hands on" design which sometimes uses the =

"shotgun" approach of trying something just for the hell of it to see = how it=20 plays, mostly using the less dramatic simulator approach rather than = actual=20 hardware, but that too. I probably should be more methodical and = calculate=20 the parameters of the components and the circuit topology, but I also = like=20 to explore possibilities using a "what if" approach.

The reasons for using PICs include their versatility and low cost, but = also=20 the fact that I like programming them. In fact, even as far back as =

1969, I=20 realized that I was better at computers and lab work than I was at pure = EE,=20 and I changed my major accordingly. But for a long time thereafter I = worked=20 at consumer electronics repair, and instrument calibration, before I = segued=20 into electronics design engineering around 1977.

I also enjoy working with power tools and large machinery and I've done = my=20 share of automotive repair and I even had a bulldozer for a while. And I =

have also pursued other interests such as hiking, volleyball, singles = clubs,=20 intentional community, guitar, dog behavior, cosmology, quantum = mechanics,=20 organic gardening, psychology, philosophy, cooking, and animal rescue. = It's=20 a very interesting world, and I have a fairly good idea of how = mechanical=20 and electrical things work, but people have always been an enigma that = can=20 be fascinating as well as depressing. I think technology can be part of = our=20 hope for a bright future, but I think we must learn from nature and = animals=20 and "less advanced" civilizations about how to get along with each other = and=20 avoid decimating our environment.

Thanks,

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Ah, hell, if you want it fast and flexible, and still prove you're UberEngineer, just use an FPGA. ;-)

SMPS chips aren't free or zero MTBF, either, OTOH, interrupts or a system reset won't cause smoke, either. Verification is just too much of a problem to even consider this insanity.

Reply to
krw

Our piezo stack driver was full audio range, and went from about 24V up to about 900V

It had a whole row of IGBTs on it, all wired real close to the board, stuffed with ferrite beads and a big, long extrusion for the heat sink. It was 900V at half an amp.

The thing had two 2kVa transformers in the bottom of the case.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

PIC'n and a grinin'...

Reply to