24GHz VCO design

Hi, I have built a discrete VCO at 24 GHz, with a tuning range of 1GHz, tuned at the varactor diode. Now I am trying to measure the maximum tuning speed of the VCO. I tune the VCO with a function generator (the tuning voltage is set as a rectangular series pulse or a senoidal signal). As I increase the tuning speed, I see that the output signal (the two peaks) power in the spectrum analyzer (frequency domain) drops. I thought it were the indication that the VCO can no longer follow the high tuning speed. Later I realized that as the minumum sweep time of the spectrum analyzer is 2.5ms, and when I tune at 1MHz, the IF filter of the spectrum analyzer cannot select the signal of the interest properly. Thus I conclude that the drop that I see is due to the attenuation by the IF filter, instead of the power drop in VCO. Then I set the spectrum analyzer in zero span mode, but strangely the output signal still drops at the same range of tuning frequency. (around 3MHz) I also measured with a power meter, this time the output power does not drop at all even at much higher frequency. Finally, I measured with a digital sampling oscillator (able to cope until 34GHz), then at 100MHz of tuning frequency, I see that the shape of the envelope of the signal is no longer in pace with the shape of the tuning signal. My question is, does the output signal of the VCO really drop due to high tuning speed? Because I see in one article, that at high tuning speed, the tuning range of the VCO actually shrinks, but it does not mention that the output power of the VCO drops. For me, this criterion of shrinking tuning range makes more sense, so I would say that the tuning speed of the VCO is around 100MHz. This conclusion is drawn from the observation of the output signal in the oscilloscope, because the envelope illustrates the AM in the output signal, due to the modulating signal. So when the envelope loses its shape, it means that the VCO cannot follow the tuning signal any longer, is it right? One more thing, when I put a wide or narrow tuning range for the tuning speed test, it has the influence on the maximum tuning frequency I observe, right. So how should I include these two parameter for the characterization of the tuning speed of the VCO. Also I am still puzzled by the fact that the zero span measurement does not give the expected result. If somebody works with it, or has worked with it, or has interests in it, please give me some hints. Many thanks

Reply to
xsh365

Well, sweeping a VCO quickly is equivalent to applying FM, right? A frequency-modulated signal has a relatively-wide spectral footprint that will exceed your analyzer's maximum resolution bandwidth fairly quickly as your sweep rate increases. That will make it hard to get a good idea of the total amount of power available.

Not only that, but the individual lobes that you *can* see in the signal will increase and decrease in amplitude as the modulation rate and level change. At various combinations of deviations and modulating frequencies, the carrier frequency will appear to vanish entirely. (Look up "Bessel functions" for more insight into that phenomenon.)

Your power meter is a broadband device with no filtering, so it doesn't care what modulation is being applied. To understand how to characterize modulation bandwidth of a VCO, have a look at the app notes at

.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

I believe he's trying to measure switching speed...the problem is he aint using a pll...doh!

Reply to
maxfoo

When you vary the tuning voltage, you are frequency modulating the VCO output. The power will be distributed amongst FM sidebands according to the modulating function, modulation index e.t.c. This may produce quite a complex spectrum with power spread across many discrete sidebands. You should be able to see these sidebands on your spectrum analyzer. The spacing should be equal to the fundamental modulating frequency.

Typically, the speed at which a VCO responds to a step change in voltage on the tuning line depends on the low-pass filter formed by series resistance/inductance on the input, and capacitance to ground.

Is there any particular reason why you want to measure the tuning speed of the VCO?

Reply to
Andrew Holme