Who knows something about this component?

I read in sci.electronics.design that CWatters wrote (in ) about 'Who knows something about this component?', on Mon, 2 May 2005:

There's an 800 V version as well!

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

uuhhh, that's a TO-92 package, wasn't it? Or was I thinking of another project?

Reply to
EN

According to the drawing on the data sheet Greg Neff found, the lead spacing is 2.54mm.

At the usual TO-92 spacing of 1.27mm with a lead width of 0.45mm, the creepage distance at the base of the molding would be 0.82mm typical or 32.3 mils. 800V is only 25V/mil, which is not going to break it down in clean air at STP.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I read in sci.electronics.design that EN wrote (in ) about 'Who knows something about this component?', on Mon, 2 May 2005:

Yes. TO-92. I wouldn't put 800 V across one, but then I shudder at 25 A through a TO-220.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

You can get 40A triacs in TO-220.

Here's a TO-220 MOSFET with 240A continous drain current at 25°C, but they say the package limits it to "only" 75A (@25°C).

Idm is 960A, which I would think would blow the legs off of a TO-220 in a matter of milliseconds.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I read in sci.electronics.design that Spehro Pefhany wrote (in ) about 'Who knows something about this component?', on Mon, 2 May 2005:

I meant that 'even' 25 A makes me shudder. Yes, I have a 40 A one in TO-220. I won't be putting 40 A through it.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Nah. ~30 years in the industry. :-) And I was wrong, according to Greg Neff's post - it's a 600V triac.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah, but what's one zero between fiends. In any case, my own guess was that it was a low-power thyristor or triac, based on being called on (ineffectually) to fix failed Christmas tree lights. My point, badly enough expressed to provoke an attack by Genome, was that your interpretation of the other number as a date code assumed the non-conventional order of the bytes.

What do you make of the 'Da Vinci Code'? Or perhaps, what does your pantheon make of it? The site is too bewildering for me to search.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I don't know - I've never read it. A quick search says it's a novel, so "my pantheon" probably think it's pretty much like any other story-telling.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

wrote

device

So what do you do when they put 60A thru a sub-TO-220 surface mount power FET?

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote (in ) about 'Who knows something about this component?', on Tue, 3 May 2005:

Hide.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate