What do peopel (incorrectly) mean by RJ9, RJ10, RJ22 ?

I often see references to these phone plugs RJ9, RJ10, RJ22.

It turns out those are non-standard names for a 4P4C connector.

What are the people who use these names likely to mean?

Could they be using another name than 4P4C if the connector pins on the lead are wired in a certain way? (For example: outer and inner pairs, outer pair only, only pins 1 and 2, etc)

Could they be using a name based on the function which the lead performs? (For example: handset lead, recording adaptor lead, etc)

Reply to
Peter

"Peter" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.x-privat.org...

RJ-numbers are well defined standards in a telco environment. It describes signal names and wires used on several plugs/jacks. So using the name RJxx in a network or other nontelco environment is misleading. It is about the same common error like using RS232 for a DB25 or DB9 connector. As the wiki article already stated, handset leads and the like have no RJ-- definition, being a part of an appliance, not of the network itself. FAIK there is no official standard for this type of connections, so 4p4c is the best you can name it. At the same time you'd better be aware that not all manufacturers use the same pinout.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

DE9. DB is the shell size.

Michael A. Terrell

As a general rule - as your Wiki link shows,

RJ9 is 4P4C RJ11 is 6P4C - that is a six-pin carrier that can have all six pins present or the middle four only RJ12 is 6P6C RJ45 is 8P8C

Many people do not recognise the difference between RJ11 and RJ12, using RJ11 for both.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Reply to
Woody

"Michael A. Terrell" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

Ah, I see. Please forgive me. It's only a minor mistake after all :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

No problem. Its just that I've used the Cannon designed subminiature 'D' series connectors for so long that it bugs me to see them given the wrong name.

Michael A. Terrell

Also see

Mike.

Reply to