WD External hard disk failure...

I'm not quite clear on what you mean. The voltage ON the HDD circuit board is out of an expected value or the connector pins read incorrect?

If connector pins are off, unplug the drive and take another reading. I would've expected that if drive were pulling down the supply too much, it "should've" shut the supply down. Then again I don't recall the specifics of the supply you're currently using.

Are you still using that adaptable supply? If so, are you sure it's of high enough current rating? Most of the ones I"ve seen are 500mA, 1A at most which could be insufficient to spin up a drive, or in other words if it's non-regulated it might be pulling voltage down so low the logic is non-functional and needs then reset... but not by unplugging and replugging since the whole cycle repeats.

That is a good idea, probably the first thing I would've done.

Reply to
kony

Swap out brother.

Reply to
Stumpy

My 80g Western Digital external HD just failed, the same conditions as Jay's. Red/green lights flash, hd not spinning. I was swapping hd's around and I could have plugged the WD hd into my laptop power supply. WD 12Vdc 2A, laptop power supply 19Vdc 3.16A.

Anyway, removed hd from enclosure and installed in 2 different machines as slave. The machines would not boot. They stopped at master hd recognition. The master was not identified and I received a boot disk failure message. With WD hd removed the machines boot fine.

I am pretty sure the circuit board is fried. I have not removed it from the hd to inspect the opposite side.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
jim

well, as I hear, its not easy to swap a WD drive as they have some kinda information embedded in the circuitry for every individual drive. It will indeed make data recovery tough.

Actually it was claimed by a data recovery website from UK. So I dont wanna do that, so Ill not ruin my data recovery chances.

Reply to
Jay

Welcome to the club, just for the start, WD's got a voltage regulator and its got a fuse as well. So its not possible to overload the circuit by anychance. Coz I tested them myself :)

So in essence its the drive thats dead or you have fried your circuitry.

Reply to
Jay