very high current DC switch

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ($30 or less) switch that can handle at least 200 amps at 13.8V?

-- Chris W KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy Get the gifts you want & give the gifts they want One stop wish list for any gift, from anywhere, for any occasion!

Chris W

Have you thought of contactors?

Car starter solenoids, battery vehicle contactors etc?

Just a thought, DC switches are getting rarer by the year, we use some Schneider Group switches that are fast breaking but way outside your budget.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Availaible in junkyards even cheaper.

Reply to
JeffM

As I recall, contactors are rape. Hell, the MOSFETs to do that (say, 8 x IRFZ46N, maybe $10) are cheaper than the $1/amp I recall advertised. YMMV..

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Don't know about the $30.00 or less but Marine and RV places have a battery selector switch.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

We pay £18 or so for a 180A rated 28V DC continuously rated coil, or higher/lower price depending on output.

We make large industrial chargers for the rail industry and use these for output cutoff.

Have a look at Albright International's website:

We use the SW80, SW180, SW200 and SW201 (SW201 has Change-over contacts)

If any of those meet your needs, we can probably help source some in small numbers for you or they may have agents over in the USA.

We only use 28V DC continuously rated coils (most other voltages are available) and have SW80 and SW180 on the shelf in the stores here.

HTH

Peter

Peter A Forbes

maybe an old starter switch (from before solenoids/relays were used)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:34:58 -0000, Jasen Betts Gave us:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/Newgap2a.jpg

Hahahahaahahahaa! Thousands of Amps!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

go to your auto parts store and ask for a out board starter solenoid.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

I'd like to see those contacts after they tried to break a motor circuit carrying 100A DC - the return spring looks very weak... not exactly a rapid action.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Momentary: Starter solenoid (they usually have a limited duty cycle)

Sustained contact: Industrial power contactor (Relay)

Battery Selector switch as used on Boats -(usually four position Battery #1, Battery #2, Both, Off)

Check an auto parts store for a battery switch - usually designed to mount on the battery terminal to break contact to prevent loads and leakage from running down the battery while in storage, or to prevent vehicle theft.

A Big Old knife switch - scarcer than hen's teeth, but relatively easy to make.

default

IGBT transistor rated at 200amps - $30

John