Unknown component in coffe machine

I have a dead (Regal) coffee machine which I'd like to reuse as my desoldering bath. Besides the heating element and thermostat? the dead part looks like low profile 4 pin crystal oscillator can but only 2 connections. One terminal is connected to the top and the other to a metal platelet held by 2 flaps from the top part ( along the long sides, forming 2 rails. The 2 terminals are separated by green what looks like paper.

Wondering if I can safely short it out without affecting the thermostat or the lamp in the switch, at least until I build in some temperature control.

Hope it can produce enough heat to melt solder. I was under the impression heating elements don't have big variation in resistance but the heating element is only 18 ohms cold compared to my

30W soldering iron 400 ohm cold and 415 hot. oops , I guess for a 800W unit that is not so strange.

Cheers.

Reply to
Sambo

Sambo wrote in news:HvsOi.12971$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.lga:

That would appear to be the thermal fuse. It would open if it gets too hot, for the intended design and purpose anyways..

Reply to
Gary Tait