spare parts for sony processor

I've got a sony hr-mp5 audio effects processor, the display has the usual problem in that it's gone dim and it's hard to read the letters. Does anyone know a good place to get a new display for the mp5 and at a reasonable price? Sony themselves weren't much help, thay referred me to a company asking just under £200 for a replacement display which is outrageous. There must be a a supplier who can do it cheaper. I'm in the UK, thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tg

"tg" wrote in news:49934a61$0$16159$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

You'll have to open it up, very carefully avoiding hazards like fragile wiring, and you might have to note several awkward screw placements and keep a lot of loose parts safe. Sony (like Technics and a few other firms' gear) is not easy to get inside because they use unusual schemes to make things compact. Then you'll have to identify the display manel exactly by whatever is printed on its board, and remove it, AFTER establishing exactly what you can get to replace it. Sometimes you can get more than just the raw display, you might find a source of a complete module of some kind, you won't know till you look at it and start hunting.

By the time you've done all this, you might start to wonder if that £200 wasn't too steep. It is steep, but the profit margin isn't as extreme as you might think.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I wasn't asking for advice on how to dismantle it, I've already opened the unit and dismantled it down to the light panel. That was easy. It's a SUPPLIER of a light panel that I was hoping to get advice on. There is no way in this world a new panel would cost nearly £200, it's a thin piece of plastic with a couple of terminals on one side.

Reply to
tg

tg wrote: There is

electroluminescent backlight?

You can get the sheet material from a few places, or maybe the inverter is kaput.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Manufacturers think that their parts departments ought to be profit centers and charge outrageous prices. (I'll tell you a story about this another time.)

I came in late on this, but if the display is an LCD, and can be unscrewed from the board, you might find that removing it and cleaning the board contacts restores the display.

If not, sorry not to be more helpful.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"tg" wrote in news:49940323$0$24600$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

If you look at your first post you'll see there's no way I or anyone could tell that you weren't a guy with no experience who'd not gone deeper than looking at the front and seeing a dim display.. You need to give all the info you can if you want the right answer.

But as AdrianC says since your new post, sounds like an EL backlight strip, and I agree, those are cheap. You can even cut them to shape if you find a bigger one with terminals that are a close enough fit for current layout. (I think making your own terminals is doable, but more akward, and I don't know how.)

You could follow this lead:

It's for an MP3 player project, a guy was makign LCD backlights for some cheap panels they got, cutting them from large sheet, fitting them, selling them... He'll definitely know what you need to know.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:gn16ru$shr$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

True, often. Though to their credit, Yamaha suprised me in being able to sell parts for some of their stuff for the same kinds of low costs as distributors like Arrow or CPC. They're pretty cool if we want to fix stuff ourselves. I did find cheaper for one 240x64 char display, but only on eBay, and I only looked because Yamaha had sold out of theirs..

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Heh, I built one of those! Great sound quality!

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Adrian C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

:) They do sound good. I sold mine though, to get money for a Mini-ITX board. Not as small, but in the end I wanted it to control more, and do other stuff. I'm posting this from it.. It was a cool kit thgough, at the time I don't think there was any other way to get a dedicated MP3 player that could play VBR files, maybe not even commercially.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

thanks for that lead but it says: 'These Techknowman LCDs are out of stock. We do not have a date when more will be available.' also, the Techknowman link on the page is dead.

Reply to
tg

and those places would be?...

Reply to
tg

:-p

--
Adrian C
Reply to

"tg" wrote in news:49948435$0$2513$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

I have no idea, I just pointed you to the last place I knew of. It's your quest... Got to be someone there you can send a mail too, asking after info on cutting and terminating EL sheet.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I've already done the google on that, I thought you knew of some places but my mistake...

Reply to
tg

Well, I've no idea how big your square of EL material is :-(

In these forums, hand out more information and folks helping can be more specific. :-)

Have a look at Rapid Electronics, CPC, Farnell, eBay...

Or here

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

I finally found that midi-rakete does them and I ordered one today.

Reply to
tg